Waypoint disappears when map is selected….

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
ZebcoKid
Been liked: 4 times
United States of America

Waypoint disappears when map is selected….

Post by ZebcoKid »

Good morning.

I sure hope I can articulate what is happening (or not as the case may be).

I set a waypoint on the Garmin Explore software, and select an icon….let’s say a tent representing a camping spot.

I proceed to the library, where I see all of the waypoints I have created.

I select one of the waypoints, which brings up a screen showing: waypoint name, selected icon, gps coordinates, distance from my current location, date created, elevation, bearing….and a map showing the waypoint location…as well as the icon representing the waypoint.

Here is the problem I’m facing. When I select the map, the map enlarges filling the screen, but the icon disappears. This is a challenge as the spot I’m trying to reach or share with someone is not visible…defeating the purpose of the waypoint creation in a number of respects. I am attaching the pictures of the last two screens described so you can see the change.

Do you have a suggestion on how I can correct this…or something I am doing incorrectly?

Thank you.

David
IMG_1273.jpeg
IMG_1273.jpeg (525.71 KiB) Viewed 545 times
IMG_1274.jpeg
IMG_1274.jpeg (981.57 KiB) Viewed 545 times
jfheath
Has liked: 356 times
Been liked: 757 times
Great Britain

Re: Waypoint disappears when map is selected….

Post by jfheath »

It looks like you have Explore enabled ?

I dont have that set up at present, but I know that the larger, inbuilt Waypoint icons will appear / disappear according to the scale of the map. As you zoom in, they are plotted. I do not know if this is true of the Explore icons.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
ZebcoKid
United States of America

Post by ZebcoKid »

Thank you, JFHeath.

The zooming in didn’t help. I say “didn’t “ because suddenly it’s working right. Hmm.

Thank you.

David
ZebcoKid
United States of America

Post by ZebcoKid »

By the way, I’ve been traveling and practicing with the zumo and in reach and explore app/software. I’m trying to play a lot at home because in the field (adventure motorcycling) nothing new can be learned, and half of what you practiced is forgotten.

That being said, I really dig this Zumo.
jfheath
Has liked: 356 times
Been liked: 757 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

ZebcoKid wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:24 am Thank you, JFHeath.

The zooming in didn’t help. I say “didn’t “ because suddenly it’s working right. Hmm.

Thank you.

David
That might be to do with the time that it takes to synchronise everything. Sometimes forcing a synch on the Zumo screen helps, but even then it takes a finite amount of time for it to transfer all of the data and then to organise it in Zumo memory.

Things like Waypoint and tracks are organised into collections. And any item can belong to any number of collections. Collections have to be made visible before they will show up on the map. Even if you haven't used collections, they still exist, and probably everything will have been placed in the 'Unorganised' collection.

So there is a lot going on behind the scenes - and every now and then the XT goes absent for a little while as it synchronises again.

How long does it take ? Unknown. But my rule of thumb is to give it time as much time as you think is necessary to do all of that. It'll be a bit longer than that !!

I've covered this on these three pages (58,59, 60) - but the whole chapter is worth a look - P65 onwards is related to Waypoints using Explore

app.php/ZXT-P58
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
ZebcoKid
United States of America

Post by ZebcoKid »

Thank you, jfheath.

I'll look at the pages you suggest.

And...I just want to say, I'm involved in a number of different forums. Every once in a while, I find myself in what that has what I call...The small town feel on the world wide web. This is one such site. Thank you for your kind engagement.

Best,

David