Thank You For The Fix

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
mad-dawg
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 7 times
Great Britain

Thank You For The Fix

Post by mad-dawg »

I have just returned home from a 9 day 2100 mile trip.
I planned each day's route the previous night in MRA on an Ipad and sent it via my phone to the XT (1.1 Route, Track POI)
Using the: start the trip and then exit and save process (change from imported to saved) worked perfectly.
Recalculation was turned off and I had the Track shown on the map, on a couple of occasions the XT tried to sneak in a "shortcut" but that was easy to see.
Towards the end of the trip I was getting complacent and planning the route with a handful of shaping points, then using the expand feature to add shaping points so they were about every 10 km. This caused a bit of excitement in Netherlands because MRA had placed a point on an overpass and the XT thought it was on the road below. Because I do not have voice instructions on I missed the track continuing straight ahead and followed the magenta line. :roll:

Overall it was a success, its the first trip I have done for a long while where I have not wanted to launch the XT into a field :lol:

I have searched for the post where the load/save process was described but cannot find it. Whoever it was, thank you, you have made an expensive ornament into a useful device that does what it should.

Now if someone can load the navigation system from an old 2610 into an XT, retain the updated maps and delete all the bloatware, apps, etc I will be first in line to buy one.
FrankB
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 132 times
Netherlands

Re: Thank You For The Fix

Post by FrankB »

I think it was @Stu that pointed out this post.
https://www.ukgser.com/community/thread ... st-5242062
mad-dawg wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 12:10 pm Recalculation was turned off and I had the Track shown on the map
I dont understand the need to fix the trips, when you have Recalculation Off
jfheath
Has liked: 348 times
Been liked: 744 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

FrankB wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:01 pm I dont understand the need to fix the trips, when you have Recalculation Off
Generally speaking - turning off recalcs will avoid the RUT issue, but not solve the problem. It is a good immediate fix though to avoid most issues.

Recalculations will still happen if you skip a route point.

But the RUT behaviour cannot happen - if you deviate from the route the XT cannot do anything - the original route stays in place and the instructions stop. Nothing spoken, nothing displayed on the banner. You have to find your own way back to the magenta line. Like deviating from a track.

When you rejoin the magenta line and start riding along it in the correct direction, the satnav will navigate you ahead to the next route point. Any shaping points you have missed will be ignored. But if you have missed a Via, it will stay quiet, becasue it needs to turn you round to the missed Via Point, but it is not allowed to. So although you are following the magenta line you will get no more instructions. It will be like following a track.

Moral - only use Via Points for the places that you will definitely pass through. (I never place them at stopping places. I place them on the road that I will take after the stopping place - it makes it easier to restart the route if I need to, after the stop).
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
mad-dawg
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 7 times
Great Britain

Post by mad-dawg »

Hi John
That was my understanding from the great information posted on here by yourself and others.
My method may not work for others, for example I detest the constant voice notifications, which in France can be "take the next left to Saint-Remy-en-Bouzemont Saint-Genest-et-Isson in Champagne. By the time that has been said I have usually passed the turning or lost interest, so I ride with no audio. :lol:

The XT whilst loading the route, does seem to calculate and will sneak what it thinks is a faster section into the route if there is a suitable gap between shaping points. As long as I keep an eye on the screen its easy to avoid the spurious diversion. As you say, if I went off-route the banner is blank until the Magenta line is rejoined.

I only use the XT 2-3 times a year and have finally got to the point of being confident that the chosen route will be what the device displays. So thank you to everyone who helped me get to this point