Bluetooth Volume

For help and advice on the Garmin Zumo XT2.
SantaFeTrailer
Has liked: 4 times
United States of America

Bluetooth Volume

Post by SantaFeTrailer »

A not insignificant part of the reason for purchase is to control my audio without trying to futz around on my phone while trying not to lose my glove that I have had to take off while riding, and not crash at the same time. It's frustrating that I can't control volume from the Zumo. I have an iPhone 13 and generic bluetooth receiver (Apecks) attached to custom molded headphones. Has anyone figured a work around on this?

Thanks!
rbentnail
Subscriber
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 220 times
United States of America

Re: Bluetooth Volume

Post by rbentnail »

I think I did. I don't use my phone for music. I put a huge SD card in the zumo and put music there. Then I purchased a Bluetooth receiver and use earbuds. The music volume is controlled directly on the zumo. Navigation and music volumes are controlled separately. It's also nice that when I'm using audio turn instructions (most often I do not) the zumo will stop music, give instructions and go back to playing music.

Info and some discussion here -> viewtopic.php?p=18002&hilit=bluetooth#p18002
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 333 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

While navigating, press the Return button (lower left). The volume control becomes available. Once done adjusting, Return again than tap View Map to return to navigating. Keep in mind that there is a Mixer option that provides some granular control, on the XT anyway.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
jfheath
Has liked: 342 times
Been liked: 736 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Once a bluetooth device is connected the Master Control for the volume is passed to the bluetooth device (eg the headset). Turning up that volume will effectively turn up the Zumos Master volume.

Then do as @Peobody suggested and access the volume mixer control on on the XT to control the four other volume inputs:
Navigation, Media, Phone Calls, Proximity Alerts

You might also be interested in the widget media player which can be displayed ont he right hand side of the map screen.
Tap the three dots menu in the bottom right of the map, and select Music Player.

25587.png
25587.png (34.77 KiB) Viewed 1441 times
It doesn't have a volume control, but it does have a large enough pause/play button.

Although I have music on my XT, and I have the capability - I only listen to music occasionally. I find it too much of a distraction - there's plenty of stuff to concentrate on out there ! Tapping the black are opens up the full size media player at the expense of the map. Tapping the 'X' in that returns to the previous map screen.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
SantaFeTrailer
United States of America

Post by SantaFeTrailer »

I appreciate the pointers, but it's still frustrating to not have an easy to use volume control. I either have to pull my phone out of my pocket and use the side knobs, or try to use the little buttons on the bluetooth adapter to my headphones. Either way, it's way more attention diverted from riding than I would like.

I am going to give the JBL Click a try, and I will report back.

https://www.amazon.com/JBL-CLICKAM-Clic ... 115&sr=8-3
jfheath
Has liked: 342 times
Been liked: 736 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Dont forget that the XT has a volume mixer, which you can use to alter the music volume. It is only the master volume that is has its control passed to the headset.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
SantaFeTrailer
United States of America

Post by SantaFeTrailer »

Follow up on the JBL Click. Yep, just what the doctor ordered. iPhone>Zumo>Bluetooth headset (Apecks bluetoth adapter with Shure SE215's and Comply tips) and the Click paired to the iPhone. I can start/stop and control volume easily and without taking my eyes from the road, and I still have the music readout on the Zumo.