Exporting Basecamp Route Extension Formats

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
Ridethebus
United States of America

Exporting Basecamp Route Extension Formats

Post by Ridethebus »

Hi All,
Can anyone comment about the choices Basecamp presents regarding file formats when exporting a route for use in another navigation system? I'm attempting to create a route that can be imported to my Honda Goldwing (2023) navigation system. One of my dilemma's is that I can't find the file formats this system prefers.
I don't expect anyone here to be experts on the Goldwing navigation system, but if someone has accomplished this successfully , I love to hear from them.
Thanks,
Mike
BaseCamp_Export.jpg
BaseCamp_Export.jpg (17.45 KiB) Viewed 1169 times
sussamb
Has liked: 337 times
Been liked: 361 times
Great Britain

Re: Exporting Basecamp Route Extension Formats

Post by sussamb »

Most navigation systems use .gpx files so I'd try that first.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 330 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

When the latest generation of 'wings first came I considered upgrading but one thing that was a major deterrent was my understanding that you could not load an externally created route into its nav system. I hope that has changed. Regardless, I would be posting a question like yours on one of the Goldwing forums.
https://www.goldwingowners.com/
https://www.gl1800riders.com/
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
jfheath
Has liked: 341 times
Been liked: 727 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Ridethebus wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 4:04 pm Hi All,
Can anyone comment about the choices Basecamp presents regarding file formats when exporting a route for use in another navigation system? I'm attempting to create a route that can be imported to my Honda Goldwing (2023) navigation system. One of my dilemma's is that I can't find the file formats this system prefers.
I don't expect anyone here to be experts on the Goldwing navigation system, but if someone has accomplished this successfully , I love to hear from them.
GPX is a very widespread format for routing. It has built in safety measure so that it a particular pices of software doesn't understand the tag (eg <Wpt>, <trkseg>, <Rtept>) It can just ignore that section of the file and process the rest.

Short answer . Use GPX. If a device or mapping program doesn't understand gpx, then its not worth its salt.

Longer answer.

GDB - is a database file which you can use to export (save) your current database. If you then wipe out your existing database or you have to re-install Basecamp, load in the database, and all is re-imported - however this method does not keep the Lists and list folders.

CSV - Comma separated Variables. Can be used for importing data into a spreadsheet, where each comma is used to indicate 'start a new column'. This can be dodgy with GPX files, as some fields will contain commas (eg like the address stored with a waypoint.

TXT is used for text files. In this case it says it is tab delimited (ascii 9) as opposed to comma (ascii 19). This too can be imported into a spreadsheet without having to worry about commas in text. CAn also be imported easily into word tables, or processed by a program reading the files as text.

KML is Keyhole Markup Language. I had to look it up, I didn't know what it stood for. But I do know that it used by Google earth. So if for example, you wanted to fly through a 3D landscape following you route, then you would export it as a KML and load it into Google earth. Link

TCX. I can read and understand XML files, but I am no expert and I try to avoid them. Difficult because my word program interprets all gpx files as XML. So I import gpx files into notepad and then paste them into word if I want to read them or do any significant find/replace or run macros on them.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC