Closest Entry Poin > "Cannot calculate the route"

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
ic0n
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Closest Entry Poin > "Cannot calculate the route"

Post by ic0n »

I've created a simple route starting a few hundred yards from my house, looping round a few towns and back home. When I start the route and select 'Closest Entry Point' it says 'Cannot calculate the route'. What might be the cause of this? Initially I ended the route at the same waypoint as the start and I wondered whether that was confusing it, so I created an end point for the route a bit further away. Still cannot calculate a route to the closest entry point. Selecting the start point as the next destination does work.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 330 times
United States of America

Re: Closest Entry Poin > "Cannot calculate the route"

Post by Peobody »

If the route does not contain any Via points then perhaps the XT detects your current location as very close to the ending location so thinks you are already at the end. Two tests come to mind to check this. 1) Add a Via to the route. 2) Start the route using Closest Entry Point when you are a good distance away from the end point.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
ic0n
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Post by ic0n »

Well there's a start via point? And then five shaping points followed by an end via point. Is a circular route generally not a good idea (having the start and end point the same)? Seems like pretty basic funcionality for a motorbike GPS!
lkraus
Subscriber
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 137 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

I always set a starting point at least 50 yards/meters distant from where the bike is likely to be parked. This avoids situations where you have to go back to hit that via point. When you hit Go! and select the start point as the next destination the Zumo will calculate a route from the parking place to that start point. My end points are always different from the start point.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 330 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Having a circular route is fine, but, if your end point is at the same place from which you are physically starting, and you ask the device to do a calculation like "Closest entry point" then your closest entry point is the end point which is what causes the problem. Shaping points in the route are ignored during this calculation. I believe that the starting Via is also ignored. My rules of thumb for circular routes are:

1. Start point at least 100 yards away from my physical starting point.
2. At least one interim Via point, even if it is just a spot on a road that I will ride through. This interim point also allows you to set your end point to the same point as your physical starting.

So for me, I can either go right or left of out my driveway. I have two saved waypoints, each about 100 yards it each direction. One of those is always my starting point for a circular route from home. My home waypoint is always my end point. I always have at least one Via point in the route. That Via prevents the XT from calculating the closest entry point as a point at the end of the route. Regardless, selecting the start point as the entry is always the better option when appropriate.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
smfollen
Subscriber
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 15 times
United States of America

Post by smfollen »

Is a circular route generally not a good idea (having the start and end point the same)? Seems like pretty basic funcionality for a motorbike GPS!
I certainly agree that a ride starting and ending in the same place is common but I have found routes that loop, cross or overlap can somethings confuse a SatNav device. Consider it from the device's point of view. If start and end are at the same location, and the user, while somewhere near that location, asks for the Closest Entry Point, which one is closest? Both of them are. The software could be written to be smart enough to check which one comes first in the route, but I don't know if it is.

For what its worth, my theory on how CEP works is here.
viewtopic.php?p=20792#p20792
rbentnail
Subscriber
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 220 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

ic0n wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 10:41 am I've created a simple route starting a few hundred yards from my house, looping round a few towns and back home. When I start the route and select 'Closest Entry Point' it says 'Cannot calculate the route'. What might be the cause of this? Initially I ended the route at the same waypoint as the start and I wondered whether that was confusing it, so I created an end point for the route a bit further away. Still cannot calculate a route to the closest entry point. Selecting the start point as the next destination does work.
Why choose Closet Entry Point? I never do that when the start point is in fact where I want to go.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A