Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 330 times
United States of America

Adventurous Routing and recalculation

Post by Peobody »

Does anyone know whether a recalculation done when riding a route created on the XT using 'Adventurous Routing' will calculate using adventurous routing and not the default of Faster time?
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
jfheath
Has liked: 341 times
Been liked: 727 times
Great Britain

Re: Adventurous Routing and recalculation

Post by jfheath »

I believe that is the case - it uses whatever is set for the route. On the XT2, you can set a preference (and more) for each route segment.

But I have never put it to the test. I have a vague memory of looking at the route in Current.gpx to check this out. But I cannot swear to what I think I saw. I know that this cannot be set from (say) Basecamp.

As answers go, this is pretty useless really. I'll sum up: I don't know !!
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

My question was very poorly worded, suitable for answers like "I do", "I don't", or "Yes, I'm sure somebody does". Sorry for that.

Reworded: If I go off-route while riding a route created on the XT using 'Adventurous Routing', will the new calculation to the end point use adventurous routing or will it use the default of Faster time?

@jfheath, I know that you don't know. :D
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Ok - I have an answer.

"Adventurous" routing is a setting - like Direct, FasterTime, ShorterDistance. It appears in the gpx file just like those other settings for the route navigation.

eg - Here is an extract of route created on the XT2 using 'Faster' - showing the details for the first Via Point.

<name>Faster</name>
<extensions><trp:Trip><trp:TransportationMode>Motorcycling</trp:TransportationMode></trp:Trip></extensions>
<rtept lat="53.966497" lon="-1.956575"><name>01 Draughton</name>
<extensions><trp:ViaPoint><trp:CalculationMode>FasterTime</trp:CalculationMode></trp:ViaPoint>
<gpxx:RoutePointExtension><gpxx:Subclass>80010000018000f0ffff0326fe004d60d19b</gpxx:Subclass>
And here is the same route taken from the XT2 using Adventurous (Actually it was set to Adventurous Level 3.

<name>Adv 3</name>
<extensions><trp:Trip><trp:TransportationMode>Motorcycling</trp:TransportationMode></trp:Trip>
</extensions>
<rtept lat="53.966497" lon="-1.956575"><name>01 Draughton</name>
<extensions><trp:ViaPoint><trp:CalculationMode>Adventurous</trp:CalculationMode></trp:ViaPoint>
<gpxx:RoutePointExtension><gpxx:Subclass>80010000018000f0ffff0326fe004d60d19b</gpxx:Subclass>
Apart from the name and the CalculationMode, the two are identical. I also prepared 3 other "Adventurous" files, set with different adventure level - 1,2 and 4. They were identical to the extract above.

In other words - the Adventurous setting is stored with the route, instead of FasterTime. But the Adventurous Level is not.

Q: What will happen if you import a route from outside (eg Basecamp), and it is set to Faster Time ?
A: I expect that this will use the Faster Time Calculation mode. Basecamp cannot set 'Adventurous'
Q: What will happen if I created a route at Adventure Level 2 and load it up when the XT2 is set to Adventure Level 4?
A: Nothing. The route has been planned in Adventure Level 2, and that route is stored using ghost points in the GPX file. The route will stay as it is. BUT if the route planner app is opened and the edventure button is clicked - the route will be recalculated to whatever level adventurous routing was set at the last time a route was created. The level does not seem to be saved with the route.
Q: What happens if the route Adv Level 2 described in the previous question is recalculated ?
A: It will recalculate at whatever adventure level the XT2 is set at. In this case Adventure Level 4.
Q: Is there any way of getting an Adventurous route created from route planning software?
A: Not that I know of. You could create a route in Basecamp, set it to Faster time and then manually edit the CalculationMode to read Adventurous - and then transfer it to the Zumo. I don't see the point though - the Zumo would have to recalculate it anyway - you may just as well load it into the route planner and edit the route by using the options.
Q: What are the options on the Route Planner app?
A: Shorter, Faster, Straight Line, Adventurous. Adventurous has 4 levels on a slider. Unlabelled. Once a level has been selected, there are also options to use any of three other preferences: Popular Paths (Moto); Michelin Scenic Roads; Hills and Curves
Q: So the XT2 remembers the last Adventurous setting of the last route. If I have a route that was set at setting 4, but the Zumo was last used to create a route with setting 1 - what happens if my Adv = 4 has to be recalculated - eg if I press Skip?
A: I've done some testing on this. I created a route at setting 4 and saved it. Then created another route at setting 2 and saved it. THe next time I Loaded a route, the Zumo was still set at Adv = 2. I then simulated running a the route with Adv setting = 4 , and skipped an early point so the route had to be recalculated. The route calculated the same route as it had when it was created - using setting 4. It appears to remember what the setting is.
This information appears to be saved in the .Trip data for the route.
Q: Can you share an adventurous route?
A: I have not tried. But the .trip file would need to be created and the info about the routing preferences and the michelin roads; hills and curves; popular moto roads are all stored in the .trip file - not in the route. So yes you can share it but, I think you would have to also pass on those settings - the route would be recreated anyway using the recipients settings as soon as the edit (pen) icon in the XT2 was pressed to see the map.
The XT2 has the ability to use different settings for different route segements (a segment is the section between two via points). This information would also need to be given to the recipient of the adventurous route.

Can you load an adventurous route into Basecamp?
A: Yes you can. You have to get hold of the Current.gpx file and copy / drag that into a Basecamp 'list'. Current.gpx contains all of the currently stored routes that are in the Zumo. The route will not change unless you ask Basecamp to recalcualte - it will be exactly what was worked out by the XT2 and displayed on its screen. So you can ask BC to create a track from the route, and transfer the track to the XT2. This can be put into a collection along with the route and the collection can be made visible.
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Thanks @jfheath. Now I am wondering what would happen If I created an Adventerous route on my XT, saved it with Trip Planner, and then shared it to my buddy's Nav VI via bluetooth. We have a three day ride planned in a couple of weeks so maybe I can test this during some down time. No guaranty that we can share though. We have attempted it three times; successful only twice.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

That will be interesting. The Nav 6 is about the Same as the 595 ?

If any method can work, that stands a chance. Its the only method that could in theory parcel up the gpx and trip files, and unpack them on receipt. Beware that if you can get transfer via BT to work, the route will be received exactly, but any recalculation will likely produce different results on each Zumo.

Let me know if you find out anything please. Curious.

HarryMJ
Has liked: 1 time
Denmark

Post by HarryMJ »

Hi all,

Hope it is OK that I add some observations.

@jfheath, seems like the Zumo XT not is saving the trip CalculationMode in the Current.gpx.

I loaded a route file created in QmapShack, which is very basic information, only providing route points, transferred to the SD card, imported into Trip Planner where the route points shows up as via points/way points.

I did now change all these via points/way points to shaping point (except one), and changed the Route Preference to Adventourous Routing level 2.
Route tested to work just like a dream.

I pulled the Current.gpx, and discovered that the CalculationMode not is showing anything else than "

Code: Select all

<trp:CalculationMode/>
", so it must be hidden somewhere else in another file?
Last edited by HarryMJ on Thu Jul 04, 2024 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brgds. Harry
----------------------------------------------------
Zumo XT
Route planning in QmapShack
Honda NC700 XA
HarryMJ
Denmark

Post by HarryMJ »

With reference to my first post:

An extract of the file imported into the SD card is attached, and also an extract of the Current.gpx after all my modifications attached.
Attachments
Current_extract.gpx
(35.2 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
to_sdcard.gpx
(839 Bytes) Downloaded 53 times
Brgds. Harry
Zumo XT
Honda NC700 XA
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

HarryMJ wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 7:58 am
@jfheath, seems like the Zumo XT not is saving the trip CalculationMode in the Current.gpx.

I loaded a route file created in QmapShack, which is very basic information, only providing route points, transferred to the SD card, imported into Trip Planner where the route points shows up as via points/way points.

I pulled the Current.gpx, and discovered that the CalculationMode not is showing anything else than "

Code: Select all

<trp:CalculationMode/>
", so it must be hidden somewhere else in another file?
Certainly not in those GPX files - but they have not come from Basecamp or any other Garmin software. The Zumos interpret the command that it recognises from the gpx file, and ignores the ones that it doesn't want, using default settings for anything that it needs that it hasn't got in the file. It will assume Motorcycle and Faster time if it gets no other valid alternative, but it doesn't actually change the GPX file to store that.

On the XT if you were to load the route, say go, then backout an in trip planner act as if you were about to load a new trip, but instead load 'My Active Route', and then save it with a new name. Then get hold of Current.gpx and see what that looks like now that the Zumo has calculated it. It will be very different.

But you are correct that even the Basecamp GPX file will not store the adventure level in the GPX file. The XT2 does have an Adventurous instead of Faster Time, and that appears in Current GPX. I guess if you modify the route to use Adventurous on the XT, and then save that using the XT screen - it might have that saved in the gpx file. But I don't know.

HarryMJ
Denmark

Post by HarryMJ »

The route from QMapShack transferred to the SD card, and then imported Test_rte_240703M1 to Trip Planner.

In Trip Planner:
  • All "via point" changed to "shaping points", except wp4_12km.
  • Route Preference changed Adventurous Routing, level 1.
  • Selected go and start.
  • Back to home screen, then into Trip Planner and selected "My Active Route"
  • Saved this new file as "My-saved-trip"
Still no indication of Adventurous in any of these two trips in the Current.gpx

Current.gpx attached, and also the Test_240703.gpx (from QMapShack) that was transferred to the SD card (containing the Test_rte_240703M1" route)
Attachments
Test_240703.gpx
(1.22 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
Current.gpx
(56.02 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
Brgds. Harry
Zumo XT
Honda NC700 XA