Unexpected reboot and required route restart

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
tombarrington
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times
United States of America

Unexpected reboot and required route restart

Post by tombarrington »

I just finished a week-long trip and had a first-ever problem surface. Three or four times over the course of the trip I found the Zumo XT restarting after returning from standby mode (switched power from BMW Nav circuit) and, of course, I had to restart the route. Garmin technical support suggested deleting the contents of the Archive folder (Internal Storage/GPX/Archive) which I could not do until I returned home. Something about "stray meta data" can sometimes cause this. I also read somewhere that a bad SD card could produce such symptoms. I did not remove my SD card to test this. I had my route files as Saved using the JaVaWa trip repair tool so I don't think the Zumo had reason to interact with the SD card.

Anyone else run into this problem and/or find a solution?
2022 BMW R1250 GS
2002 BMW R1100S
1984 Honda VF700F
1969 Moto Guzzi Ambassador
colirv
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 39 times
Great Britain

Re: Unexpected reboot and required route restart

Post by colirv »

Just to clarify, on restarting I would expect the Zumo to continue following the route where it left off. Is the problem that it didn't, and you had to restart the route yourself?
Colin
BMW R1250RS
https://www.namrider.com
tombarrington
United States of America

Post by tombarrington »

colirv wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 8:05 pm Just to clarify, on restarting I would expect the Zumo to continue following the route where it left off. Is the problem that it didn't, and you had to restart the route yourself?
Thanks, and yes, that is correct. One time I witnessed it rebooting and the others, not sure, I must have been paying attention to something else. So instead of continuing to follow the route where I left off I got the home screen, like this:

I then had to restart the route and all was fine. This was random and did not happen sequentially.
2022 BMW R1250 GS
2002 BMW R1100S
1984 Honda VF700F
colirv
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 39 times
Great Britain

Post by colirv »

Mine sometimes offers the home screen, but when I touch "View Map" it picks up navigating. You might try that if it happens again.
Colin
BMW R1250RS
https://www.namrider.com
tombarrington
United States of America

Post by tombarrington »

Thanks again. I did try that but the route was gone and had to be restarted every time. Hopefully, clearing the Archive folder had some benefit.
2022 BMW R1250 GS
2002 BMW R1100S
1984 Honda VF700F
FrankB
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 130 times
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

tombarrington wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 2:51 pm Anyone else run into this problem and/or find a solution?
I dont recall the XT ever rebooting while driving. But it did happen to the builtin satnav of my car, after updating the map. What I'm trying to say: Maybe it's due to a map update that did not complete succesfully. If the error remains you could try to reinstall the maps. Assuming you're using the City Navigator maps you can do that with Garmin Express.
tombarrington
United States of America

Post by tombarrington »

Thanks @FrankB. I could have been clearer. All of these restarts happened after stopping for a break or fuel, never while underway. The Zumo would appear to go into standby when the bike was turned off. When power returned upon starting the bike I'd find it at the home screen. There were many stops on this week-long trip and most of them were fine; this happened three or four times.
2022 BMW R1250 GS
2002 BMW R1100S
1984 Honda VF700F
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 107 times
Been liked: 318 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Be grateful that it restarted. I have had two occasions when I stopped for awhile (one lunch, one tourist attraction) and let the XT go into standby mode. Upon return to the bike, the XT did not wake up on power and I could not get it to start up. I plugged it into an AC adapter overnite and it booted up fine in the morning. In neither case was there an indication that there was a problem with power to the unit. The first time it happened I thought it was heat related but the second time definitely was not. I have never figured out what caused it non have I done anything to "fix" it. These occurrences were almost a year apart, the second one being 9 months ago.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
tombarrington
United States of America

Post by tombarrington »

I guess I should be grateful but I'm deep into the Garmin ecosystem (two watches, inReach Messenger, Zumo, Basecamp) and I just expect (unreasonably?) this stuff to work. That said, it did spend a few hours in a black top box in 100F sunshine before all this started. Hopefully, I didn't damage it. None of these events occurred in excessively hot temperatures. The battery always showed charged when I pulled it off the mount.
2022 BMW R1250 GS
2002 BMW R1100S
1984 Honda VF700F
FrankB
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 130 times
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

tombarrington wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 9:26 pm I could have been clearer.
I should have read better!

My Xt is not wired directly to the battery, but on the ignition. So if I turn off the bike, the XT also goes into standby, When I turn on the bike again, the zumo restarts and an active route is resumed.
Is that also your setup?

I ask because it sounds to me like a power issue. Maybe the issue is related to the internal battery of your XT?