GPS For Wife

Got a question that doesn't fit in to any other category? Then please use this section.
carolinarider09
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 38 times
United States of America

GPS For Wife

Post by carolinarider09 »

My wife has a Garmin GPS for her car. Don't remember the model number but it does have lifetime maps but now, can only load small portions of the new maps.

So what I want is a Garmin GPS with lifetime maps that is designed for automobile use. Is simple to use (i.e. just push a button or two and you get to enter the address you want to travel to. Nothing really big about route planning now.

For long trips with her and I in my car we can use my 595 but, it is a little to complex for her (not that she is not competent but I find it a very unfriendly device for a novice).

So, I want to get her a new one as a surprise. Looking on line at Best Buy (because they are nearby and I have purchased from them before) I see the Garmin Drive Smart 66 and the Drive Smart 86. They seem to be fairly simple GPS devices with Lifetime maps. It would be mourned to the windshield on her car with a heavy duty mount (forget the brand bit its the same mounting devices I have used on my bikes but with a heavy duty suction cup.

My question are:

1. Is this a fairly easy to use GPS for a novice?

2. Is the 8" GPS too big for a smaller car (in this case a 2016 Subaru Forester)?

3. Does these two GPS's have enough memory to load all USA maps?

Thanks for any responses.
lkraus
Subscriber
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 137 times
United States of America

Re: GPS For Wife

Post by lkraus »

1.They both have voice assist, so she can just say where she wants to go. Certainly neither will be any harder to use than her current Garmin.

2.IMO, it would be difficult find a good spot for an 8" screen that does not block the view of the road, or the controls, or air vents, or something important. I have enough trouble finding a spot for my 590 or XT in the car. Find the measurements online, cut out a piece of scrap cardboard the same size, and see where it might fit.

3.They both come with lifetime maps for all of North America.

My realtor brother uses a DriveSmart65 every day and does virtually everything hands-free with the voice assist feature. It is mounted well forward in the corner of his mini van windshield and would be difficult to reach while driving.

My Garmin car mounts have always worked well on a windshield. Like any suction mount, the mount may loosen if temperatures rise, but will hold even tighter if mounted hot and temperatures drop.

My wife used a TomTom for about twelve years, and has used my 590 in the car. Her preferred solution is her phone with Google Maps. (Mine too, in the car.) For long trips to visit the grandkids, she has all the maps downloaded to her phone before she leaves, in case cell service is unreliable.
United States of America

Thanks ikraus. Good information and tends to follow my thought patter as well.

So, I will get the Drive Smart 66. Order it later today (you just in case some other comments come in).

We are both sort of in the "older generation" and don't use our iPhones for much except texting and phone calls (oh and addresses).

However, since I got my 2024 Subaru Outback I have tried the feature that allows you to use the Apple Maps displayed on cars "screen". And its a much bigger screen then the one on the wires car.

So, Thanks again for the prompt feedback.
lkraus
Subscriber
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 137 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

There are stand-alone units that provide Apple CarPlay, or you can usually replace the entire radio with a new head unit with screen and CarPlay. A simple search for "CarPlay" will turn up lots of options.
Has liked: 4 times
United States of America

Post by QuantumQuartz »

The Garmin Drive Smart 66 and 86 are both user-friendly GPS options with lifetime maps. The Drive Smart 66 might be more suitable for a smaller car like a 2016 Subaru Forester, as the 8" screen on the Drive Smart 86 could be a bit large and obstructive. Both models should have sufficient memory for storing all USA maps, ensuring you have the latest updates without issues. Best Buy should have compatible heavy-duty mounts for secure windshield attachment.
carolinarider09
United States of America

We got the GPS today and besides having to figure out how the GPS was removed from the mount, it was as expected. And very, very light.

Operation was very similar to my 595.

And the voice navigation worked fine. It's one of the reasons I wanted a new one. Did not want her to have to figure out how to do what to the device. Being able to speak commands was my desire.

Got it connected to my Garmin Express and maps and software updated.

Regarding the heavy duty GPS mounts, I used something for her older GPS but it required me to get a different mount. I will check and see what is available.

So far she is happy. I just wanted to give her a way to get from here to there without worry. The only issue is the "travel" method. It will say set to "fastest" but, if it is like my 595, you can go off course and it will keep trying to get you back to the so called fastest route. Or she can travel almost to the place she wants to go and then ask it to take her there.
carolinarider09
United States of America

Just one more update. Wife used the GPS today for a trip that takes her a place about 25 miles away. She said "Hey Garmin....... address of place.....

And it took her right there. No issues. So... it seems to be exactly what I wanted for her

Thanks again for the feedback.