How do you change the map theme on an XT2?

For help and advice on the Garmin Zumo XT2.
Sean OZ
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 13 times
Australia

How do you change the map theme on an XT2?

Post by Sean OZ »

G'Day
I'm looking for a way to display both my route and the track at the same time (import via BaseCamp).
As far as I can tell this involves changing the map theme on the XT2 itself.

I've seen quite a bit of info on how to change the map theme on the XT, but I haven't been able to find instructions showing how it's done on an XT2.

I'm not sure if it's the same procedure for both the XT2 and the XT. I really don't want to "screw up" any of the base files in the XT2.

Ive found the options on the XT2 to change the track width and colour but that's all I can do.

If anyone could please provide some instructions, on what I need to do on the XT2 to change the map theme, and then have both a track and a route displayed on the XT2 screen at the same time, that would be fantastic.

Cheers!
Zumo XT2
2020 Honda CB500X
Sometimes down, but never beaten. :-)
Sean OZ
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 13 times
Australia

Re: How do you change the map theme on an XT2?

Post by Sean OZ »

Solved it!

Have found out how to do it by myself. Gleaned some info from other online websites on how to change the map theme on an XT2 (it's an easy thing to do)

Also worked out how to have both the track and the route displayed at the same time on this forum by reading jfheath's excellent "BaseCamp-Everything that you need to know" Page50. Thanks, JF!

Can't wait until it stops bloody raining, so I can go for a short, preplanned route/track ride and test it out!

Link to jfheaths hints page
app.php/ZXT-P50

Link to info on how to install a new map theme, on a Zumo (also works for the Zumo XT2!)
https://www.wiltshire.net/2021/12/21/ga ... -overlaid/

Update: - The rain finally stopped, and I got the chance to see what it was like navigating with both a route and a track, running at the same time. Worked brilliantly!

I set up a quick complex route and track around the area I live along suburban roads. Route/Track was over a distance of about 8Kms. I purposely made the Route/Track with a ton of turns. I then purposely deviated from the original route, many times to see what would happen. The XT2 was easily able to Re-Calculate the route.

Now having the ability to see the original intended track at the same time, I could see that the new Re-Calculated route was correctly heading back to the set Track. XT2 seemed to be able to recalculate an alternative route within 100 meters of travelling past the original route turns. No Way Points where set. (Besides the automatic start and end waypoints.)

When out of town and riding in more remote areas, I should now be able to see, if any new "recalculated" route is still heading in the correct direction, to get me back to my original track. I would still take the time to stop and take a good look of the map, in order to affirm that any new route is still heading back to the original unchanged track.

There were a couple of times when the XT2's, new recalculated route really didn't make much sense, but because I could still see the track, I just headed towards the displayed track, and then the XT2 would then quickly come up with a logical new route.

Very happy that it all went as expected!
Zumo XT2
2020 Honda CB500X
Sometimes down, but never beaten. :-)