ODT Files to GPX

Got a question about any other routing software that you use for creating routes and transferring to your Zumo? Then post in here and we will try our best to help
carolinarider09
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 38 times
United States of America

ODT Files to GPX

Post by carolinarider09 »

A friend of mine sent me some trips but they are in a format I have never heard of *.ODT.

I did a search on line and found one site that might convert them to GPX but they wanted me to download something first.

Anyone know of a way to convert *.ODT files to GPX files or, maybe just show them on a map and I can manually input them into my mapping program.

Thanks..
jfheath
Has liked: 348 times
Been liked: 741 times
Great Britain

Re: ODT Files to GPX

Post by jfheath »

I don't know ODT format, but it seems that a program like Word will open them.

GPX files are text files. They have coded words and symbols, but you can read them.

There is a chance that someone has opened the gpx file in a document processor and then saved it in the document processors native format. ODT.

If so, open it in word and see if it looks like a gpx file. If so, save it as a text file and call it (eg) Something.gpx. Then try loading Something.gpx into (eg) Basecamp. Its pretty good at sorting out rogue gpx files.

If you haven't got a clue what I am talking about, post the ODT file-I'll see if it is what I think it is.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
lkraus
Subscriber
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 139 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

.odt is the open source version of a Microsoft .doc file used by word processor programs such as LibreOffice Writer or Apache OpenOffice

Both of those programs are very good alternatives to Microsoft Office/Word . Both are safe and free to use. If Word will not open the file it is a simple matter to download one of these suites to open the file and save it as text with a .gpx extension.

I have been using LibreOffice for many years. I need the programs infrequently and cannot justify Microsoft's subscription prices. I have my preferences set to save files in Office formats (.docx, .xlsx, etc) by default. No one knows the difference when I exchange files with MSOffice users.
Subscriber
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 220 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

lkraus wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2024 12:17 am .odt is the open source version of a Microsoft .doc file used by word processor programs such as LibreOffice Writer or Apache OpenOffice

Both of those programs are very good alternatives to Microsoft Office/Word . Both are safe and free to use. If Word will not open the file it is a simple matter to download one of these suites to open the file and save it as text with a .gpx extension.

I have been using LibreOffice for many years. I need the programs infrequently and cannot justify Microsoft's subscription prices. I have my preferences set to save files in Office formats (.docx, .xlsx, etc) by default. No one knows the difference when I exchange files with MSOffice users.
^ this. I've been an Apache OpenOffice user for years. It's dependable, versatile and free. I also echo "No one knows the difference when I exchange files with MSOffice users".
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Ok - so it IS a word processed document as I suspected.

So the point is, what does it contain ? If you open it up in OpenOffice, LibreOffice or Microsoft Word (which I discovered will open ODT files), then does it contain something that looks like a gpx file ?

eg like these ? (These examples have got plenty of white space. Sometimes gpx files have text across the full width of the paper without pausing to start a new line. But you can still read what they say)

ODT-GPX.png
ODT-GPX.png (209.68 KiB) Viewed 1858 times

If it does then simply use your word processor to save it as text only. In Word this is Save As... and select 'Plain text' (.txt).
Once saved, simply rename it with the .gpx extension.

I am assuming that your friend has simply loaded a gpx file into his word processor and sent you that. Not realising that a word procesor file contains a lot more than just the text and is largely illegible. If that assumption is not correct then this won't work. But it stands a pretty good chance.

Or send me the ODT file and I'll take a look. If I'm right, it'll take me only a couple of minutes - if that.
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

carolinarider09
United States of America

Ok... I did open the files using my MacBook Pages program and it opened and I saw data. I had no idea what the data was. Let me try again and see what happens.

Oh, I don't remember if I ever opened a GPX file that way..
carolinarider09
United States of America

Ok... I opened them again and found a link (it was sort of hidden) and the bottom of the file that opened the route in goggle maps.. So I can copy the route that way.

But here is one example.

West Hwy 76 TL Hwy 288 TL Hwy 76 TR towards Hayesville

TL Hwy 339 TR Hwy 66 TL Old Hwy 64 TL Brasstown Rd

TR Martins Creek IMMED TL Hedden Rd TR Hwy 19

TL Hwy 74 TR Hwy 294 TR Runion Rd TR Hwy 68 to T Plains

East on Cheroahala South Hwy 129 TL Hwy 74 TR Wayah Rd

TR Crawford Rd TL Hwy 64 IMMED TR Allison Creek Rd

TL N Jones Creek Rd TR Hwy 441 to Clayton

https://goo.gl/maps/Excdph8Y5uB2

The link is above. I just did not see it at first for what it was.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Glad you have that sorted !

So he's sent a word processed document containg a link to a google map route.

To get that route to a gpx, Google maps can export it as a kml file - which Basecamp can read.
I think that gives you a track, rather than a route.

From there you have two options.

1. Use the track as a guide to plot your own route.
2. Send the track to the Zumo and select the option to convert it to a trip

3. I know I said 2 options. This is a reserve. Garmin can build a route from a track. It does it by sampling the track points every so often. Eg the track may have 1,001 points. You tell Basecamp how many route points you want, you say 11. That is 10 sections. Basecamp will take track points at 1, 101, 201, 301 etc and create a route point. Since track points are very close together - maybe a few metres, it may give a reasonable route.

Its a bit trial and error. Do it once, see that you have far too many route points, undo and try again with a different number(s).

I'm not a fan of Google maps. I've put the time in to see what I can do with it, decided that it is not for me. That means that I am not the best person to offer advice about it. I think that I have just told you more than everything I know ! But someone else will chip in and offer better advice, and /or correct my comments.

carolinarider09
United States of America

I cannot tell you, today, how I did what I did but I found a real simple way to save the routes to GPX files. Just opened them up on my Microsoft Streets and Trips 2013 and then modified them as needed and then saved them again as GPX files.

I just looked at the files and did not see a path to what I did.

I tell you, sometimes I truly wonder about age and mental acuity.

But thanks for all the information and help. It is really appreciated.

If I can find out what I did I will post it here. But, as I said it was simple.