Best way to link XT2 with Intercom and Phone?

For help and advice on the Garmin Zumo XT2.
SEllis
Has liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Best way to link XT2 with Intercom and Phone?

Post by SEllis »

I'm wanting to know the best way to link everything together?

The XT2 needs to be linked to my phone for Tread (unfortunately), but I also want to see notifications and calls on the XT2.

I then want music and phone calls to come direct from my phone to my Sena.

What's the best way to do it?
jfheath
Has liked: 344 times
Been liked: 736 times
Great Britain

Re: Best way to link XT2 with Intercom and Phone?

Post by jfheath »

The recommended way is to

Link the headset to the XT2. If you have the choice tell the headset that the XT2 is a phone, not a gps.
Pair the phone with the XT2
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
SEllis
Great Britain

Post by SEllis »

jfheath wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 1:17 am The recommended way is to

Link the headset to the XT2. If you have the choice tell the headset that the XT2 is a phone, not a gps.
Okay, thanks. And not link the phone to the headset?
jfheath
Has liked: 344 times
Been liked: 736 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

SEllis wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 9:25 am

That is correct. The XT2 relays the call to the headset.

I know that some people do link the phone to their headset, but the method that I describer works best for the XT2. The XT2 handles all of the phone calls - you can dial from the screen, you can see who is calling and accept/reject from the screen. That is my personal preference - and the way that works best for the Zumo. And since it is a Zumo Users forum .... !

What you cannot do (or I should say - I have not tried particularly hard to do it) is use voice commands from your headset to the phone eg 'Hey Google'.

For that (I think) you need the phone to be connected to the headset direct. I stopped trying when I realised that you had to remove the auto lock feature from the phone.

But if you do that, you lose some of the interaction between the Zumo and the phone.

Its a matter of preference and how much you want to keep on your phone. If I want music (I rarely do) then the MP3 player on the Zumo is far better than the sending it by BT to the headset (again - my opinion and experience).

I would get it set up with the XT2 at the centre - as I suggested. See what it can do - then investigate the method which connects the XT2 to the headset on one channel and the phone to the headset on another channel. See which works best for you. Check that you get sound through the heasedt from the XT2 (instructions, music, key clicks etc). Then you can set the music source as being the BT connection (it will list the phone). See how it behaves. The 590 used to get music through OK (on a wired connection), but as the ride went on, it would get broken up and become very choppy. I haven't seen that problem reported ina while, and I have not tried it with the XT or XT2.

There is no right or wrong answer - just whatever works for how you want to use it.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
SEllis
Great Britain

Post by SEllis »

jfheath wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 10:13 am
SEllis wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 9:25 am

That is correct. The XT2 relays the call to the headset.

I know that some people do link the phone to their headset, but the method that I describer works best for the XT2. The XT2 handles all of the phone calls - you can dial from the screen, you can see who is calling and accept/reject from the screen. That is my personal preference - and the way that works best for the Zumo. And since it is a Zumo Users forum .... !

What you cannot do (or I should say - I have not tried particularly hard to do it) is use voice commands from your headset to the phone eg 'Hey Google'.

For that (I think) you need the phone to be connected to the headset direct. I stopped trying when I realised that you had to remove the auto lock feature from the phone.

But if you do that, you lose some of the interaction between the Zumo and the phone.

Its a matter of preference and how much you want to keep on your phone. If I want music (I rarely do) then the MP3 player on the Zumo is far better than the sending it by BT to the headset (again - my opinion and experience).

I would get it set up with the XT2 at the centre - as I suggested. See what it can do - then investigate the method which connects the XT2 to the headset on one channel and the phone to the headset on another channel. See which works best for you. Check that you get sound through the heasedt from the XT2 (instructions, music, key clicks etc). Then you can set the music source as being the BT connection (it will list the phone). See how it behaves. The 590 used to get music through OK (on a wired connection), but as the ride went on, it would get broken up and become very choppy. I haven't seen that problem reported ina while, and I have not tried it with the XT or XT2.

There is no right or wrong answer - just whatever works for how you want to use it.

Cheers 😊