Zumo XT mount & charging issues

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Kwakstak
Has liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Zumo XT mount & charging issues

Post by Kwakstak »

Hi all, i purchase my zumo xt in 2019, which was fine to begin with, however roll on 18 months & it would loose power/connection to battery!

I replaced charging leads & bought a new mount! However unit still turning itself off when on the move.

Garmin eventually replaced unit with a recycled one & its still doing same, however this unit barely fits in mount & with no secure ‘click’ when locking in. When i eventually managed to get it to stay in the holder, the unit kept turning itself off as before!

Contacted garmin AGAIN & im having to replace leads & mount again! How many times have i got to do this to get a unit to work ergh!!

Any advice gratefully received regarding next steps!
simoncrewe
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 37 times
Great Britain

Re: Zumo XT mount & charging issues

Post by simoncrewe »

Can we assume that you have the power lead secured in the mount with the tiny screw - quite a few people don't?

Are you using the very latest lead as per this picture?
Attachments
New Cable.jpeg
New Cable.jpeg (94.49 KiB) Viewed 1897 times
Kwakstak
Great Britain

Post by Kwakstak »

Yup looks exactly the same!
Kwakstak
Great Britain

Post by Kwakstak »

& secured with timy screw!
ib12
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by ib12 »

I also have a charging issue when connected to mount, it goes straight to battery mode. If I connect via USB it charges. The mount is wired to an ignition live connector and the 3rd pin on the mount is showing 5.14v when ignition on. I went into the diagnostic screen (see below) and see that when plugged in to a USB it says it's connected to the garmin mount which it wasn't it was my PC and shows that there is no USB cable detected. When connected to the mount it shows no connection whatsoever and uses battery. The only thing I've not been able to do is try it in another mount.
Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (273.22 KiB) Viewed 1860 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (249.7 KiB) Viewed 1860 times
Kwakstak
Great Britain

Post by Kwakstak »

I managed to try a friends mount, however his XT also flicks from charging from battery & turning itself off!

There is obviously a fundamental problem here that Garmin are refusing to acknowledge for a £400 SatNav, this is not acceptable!

Anyone from Garmin here????
ib12
Great Britain

Post by ib12 »

Returned satnav under warranty but the replacement does extactly the same. However when I plugged it into the dedicated output for my fog lights it shows it's charging. Output from both plugs is 12v with 5.14v at the mount pin. It's got me puzzled.
danham
Has liked: 95 times
Been liked: 91 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

ib12 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:27 pm Returned satnav under warranty but the replacement does extactly the same. However when I plugged it into the dedicated output for my fog lights it shows it's charging. Output from both plugs is 12v with 5.14v at the mount pin. It's got me puzzled.
I'm a little confused. How did you plug it into a fog light output? Do you mean you used the 12v plug and USB connection, as you would in a car?

Another desperate guess on my part: when you tested for 5.14v at the pin on the bike mount, what ground (earth) reference were you using? A part of the bike, or the other pin in the mount? If the former, it's possible the bike mount harness is not properly grounded. I know this is a long shot, but just trying to help if possible.

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
ib12
Great Britain

Post by ib12 »

The fog light has a dedicated socket I replaced it by plugging in the Garmin lead and mount. When I press the fog light switch it turns the satnav on and device powers up and shows its charging. If I put a multimeter on the mount connections it shows a 5.14v output. The positive being the 3rd pin the 1st being negative. Both the fog light socket and the auxiliary socket both give the same readings. So you would think with either socket being used the satnav would be charged.
simoncrewe
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 37 times
Great Britain

Post by simoncrewe »

Just for your own sanity to check it out, why not run it straight to the battery via the Garmin M/C lead.