Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
sussamb
Has liked: 337 times
Been liked: 366 times
Great Britain

Re: Advice needed on trip to USA

Post by sussamb »

lou wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:27 am
sussamb wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:41 am You could also load a free OSM map to cover the area you're using so you have a map to view.
Ahh ok thanks for the Info as posted just now how do i get the OSM and can it create routes
Just do a search for Garmin OSM mapping. Most are routeable but often not up to the standard of Garmin maps but as you've already been given routes, and with advice here about creating tracks etc, you shouldn't need to use them to create routes.
FrankB
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 132 times
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

@lou

Hi Lou. It's sort of a hobby to create my own maps from OSM. If you send me a PM I can send you a map via wetransfer or pcloud transfer.

The maps I make i'm using mainly in Netherlands, Germany, the coverage there is good. I really don't know how it is in the U.S. So if you want to play it safe, buy the Garmin Maps, if you're willing to take the risc, try OSM. Or use them both.

And no, there's nothing illegal about it!

Just a few screenshots:
1.jpg
1.jpg (858.16 KiB) Viewed 797 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (786.31 KiB) Viewed 792 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (665.11 KiB) Viewed 797 times
rbentnail
Subscriber
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 220 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

I think I'd investigate something else like getting a cheap Garmin from Walmart.com to use then sell or even just dispose of. Update the maps, spend $25US on a mount and go on down the road. I would not want to be without- I may want to take a day or two to explore without the group.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
lkraus
Subscriber
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 139 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

For free OSM routable maps for Garmin, try
https://www.openmapchest.org/maps/united-states/
and/or
http://www.gmaptool.eu/en/content/usa-osm-topo-routable

They work both work with the XT and Basecamp.

I use the Garmin lifetime maps most of the time, just because they have enough detail, include speed limit info on most roads, and are easy to update.

The OSM map from openmapchest is my next choice, if I turn the detail level down to prevent too much clutter.

I think the "topo" maps from gmaptool are probably good for hiking but a little too "busy" and colorful for road use - it takes me too long to find the roads in a quick glance.
Last edited by lkraus on Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Has liked: 348 times
Been liked: 744 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Just remember not to have two maps ticked on the XT if they both cover the same area.

You will know. It'll start to navigate in straight lines across open fields, and be unable to calculate routes and other stupid stuff.

As opposed to the "normal' stupid stuff that we sometimes see!
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
Fxwheels
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

Post by Fxwheels »

Lou, I'd like to give you one of mine units, but I don't know how it would get to you as I'm located in NJ on the East Coast.
lou
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by lou »

Fxwheels wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:03 pm Lou, I'd like to give you one of mine units, but I don't know how it would get to you as I'm located in NJ on the East Coast.
Hi Fxwheels. That's very kind of you but think I may be sorted now . I'll let you all know tomorrow. My pillion is my daughter and her tech savvy fiance said he will get me a NA map. :) I'll try it out when it comes.