New to the XT, some daft questions

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
JackyDaniels
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

New to the XT, some daft questions

Post by JackyDaniels »

My first post in some time, so long in fact I had to set up a new user name! :?

Quite happy with the XT, seems to work well, but...

my old garmin had a feature where it showed where you went off route as a sort of dotted line, which was handy to see if you needed to find your way back on route, rather than just using re calculate and trusting to luck, does the xt have this?

Also, I see various mentions of tracks. Now what would be really useful is to be able to save a track of where we have ridden (when not using xt to navigate a route) and saving these tracks for future use, again is this feature available on xt?

if it is possible to do either or both of these, how to set them up, please!

Thanks
simoncrewe
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 37 times
Great Britain

Re: New to the XT, some daft questions

Post by simoncrewe »

I think you can do both! If you send a route & track to the unit you can display the route over the track. If you deviate from the route you will see the track underneath. Do a search on this forum, I am sure its been discussed.

The unit has a 'Track recorder' feature, it is on the main screen 'Track'.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 334 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

On the XT, the dotted line is associated with going off-route when following a track. More here: https://www.zumouserforums.co.uk/app.php/ZXT-P48
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
JackyDaniels
Great Britain

Post by JackyDaniels »

simoncrewe wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:44 am I think you can do both! If you send a route & track to the unit you can display the route over the track. If you deviate from the route you will see the track underneath. Do a search on this forum, I am sure its been discussed.

The unit has a 'Track recorder' feature, it is on the main screen 'Track'.

Hi thanks just found the track recorder feature!
I was thinking more of situations where I am NOT using the XT to navigate a route, but want to see where I have ridden after the event, so assume the track recorder will do this, and enable me to save that track and store for future reference; will give it a try soonest
JackyDaniels
Great Britain

Post by JackyDaniels »

Peobody wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:14 pm On the XT, the dotted line is associated with going off-route when following a track. More here: https://www.zumouserforums.co.uk/app.php/ZXT-P48

Very useful info on the link thanks, still lots to learn, my old sat nav, "breadcrumb" was associated with running a route, I'd simply forgotten that!
I assume when not running a route the TRAC BACK facility will do something similar
Fxwheels
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

Post by Fxwheels »

JackyDaniels wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:53 pm I was thinking more of situations where I am NOT using the XT to navigate a route, but want to see where I have ridden after the event, so assume the track recorder will do this, and enable me to save that track and store for future reference; will give it a try soonest
Do you mean recording the track/roads you were riding on? (navigating or not).
Go to Setting/Device/Travel History. Check than on.
If you want to clear in later on, (it will start recording from new), you can go to Apps/Where I've Been, click on 3 lines/Clear Travel History.
Trackback is useful to but that's a different function.

Hope this helps
JackyDaniels
Great Britain

Post by JackyDaniels »

Fxwheels wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:57 pm
JackyDaniels wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:53 pm I was thinking more of situations where I am NOT using the XT to navigate a route, but want to see where I have ridden after the event, so assume the track recorder will do this, and enable me to save that track and store for future reference; will give it a try soonest
Do you mean recording the track/roads you were riding on? (navigating or not).
Go to Setting/Device/Travel History. Check than on.
If you want to clear in later on, (it will start recording from new), you can go to Apps/Where I've Been, click on 3 lines/Clear Travel History.
Trackback is useful to but that's a different function.

Hope this helps
yes thats just what I needed!
thanks
as an aside
Having become very familiar with mapsource, never bothered with basecamp. Having tried and failed to get BC to do what I wanted (when preparing routes) have given up on that and as MS is not recognised by XT, have just extracted the SD Card and loaded the routes in that way. Its a faff and I wonder if there is an easier way, but have done what I need to for the time being!
Basecamp
I created tracks but when loaded into XT they bore no resemblance to the tracks created in BC, some seemed to have tripled in length compared with the routes they were supposed to represent. The routes copied across were also "re-calculated" in such a way that they often diverged markedly from the routes I want to follow and also many shaping points were for some reason turned into either viapoints or waypoints (I know there is a difference but run out of available brain processing to be bothered to investigate further! Anyhoo, back to Mapsource which altho clunky is at least a known quantity!
its certainly interesting (ie a pain in the backside) using Garmin.
JackyDaniels
Great Britain

Post by JackyDaniels »

The thick plottens!

When the route is imported from sd card and I wish to import it into the internal memory, I get a message saying the route exceeds 29 Stopping points, do I wish to convert to shaping points or split the route!!!

These stopping points show as an orange flag and there are just a few per route (I guess the rest were converted?)

Now I did not use "stopping points" I use only shaping points so where the h*** did they come from? I hope I can convert them to shaping points by tapping the flag symbol on the list of points, but wonder how this will affect the route when XT recalculates them??

Oh Dear Oh dear!
Fxwheels
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

Post by Fxwheels »

In the BC, the shaping points set to "Don't Alert", Via points are set to "Alert on Arrival". Go to the left lower pan, double-click on your route. You'll see all points in there and you can right-click on each or a block to reset them.

As for the Basecamp itself, got to EZ Moto Tim on youtube and watch first 4 clips. It will open your eyes on it.
JackyDaniels
Great Britain

Post by JackyDaniels »

Fxwheels wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:06 pm In the BC, the shaping points set to "Don't Alert", Via points are set to "Alert on Arrival". Go to the left lower pan, double-click on your route. You'll see all points in there and you can right-click on each or a block to reset them.

As for the Basecamp itself, got to EZ Moto Tim on youtube and watch first 4 clips. It will open your eyes on it.
Great thanks!