Opening a route takes a very long time

For help and advice on the Garmin Zumo XT2.
proofresistant
Has liked: 2 times
Germany

Opening a route takes a very long time

Post by proofresistant »

Opening a route takes a very long time, sometimes several minutes. This is frustrating when you have to wait up to 10 minutes or more before starting the navigation.

I planned the route in Basecamp and because the route could not be pushed to the Zumo XT2 via Tread or otherwise, I converted the route in Bascamp into a track.

Then I pushed the track on the Navi and let the Zumo XT2 itself create a route. Even the creation of the route takes a very very long time.

If then the route created with the Zumo XT 2 should be opened, then the waiting begins every time :-(

For info, the route had about 450km and the original track had a little less than 10,000 track / coordinate points.

[Edit Info, sorry for editing, my English ist not the best ;-) ]
Fxwheels
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

Re: Opening a route takes a very long time

Post by Fxwheels »

Can you check the simple way first? - Export the route from BC to your PC/laptop. Connect your nav to the computer via usb cable and move the gpx file to the nav (GPX directory).
Disconnect the cable and start the XT2.
proofresistant
Has liked: 2 times
Germany

Post by proofresistant »

Fxwheels wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:41 am Can you check the simple way first? - Export the route from BC to your PC/laptop. Connect your nav to the computer via usb cable and move the gpx file to the nav (GPX directory).
I have tried the simple ways several times, believe me, I prefer the simple ways, but everything was without success.
Basecamp and XT2 are just not compatible, and that's a fact.
Basecamp routes do not work with the XT2, at least not 1:1.
I think for an exchange with the XT 2 can only use the tracks.
Fxwheels
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

Post by Fxwheels »

proofresistant wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:25 am
Fxwheels wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:41 am Can you check the simple way first? - Export the route from BC to your PC/laptop. Connect your nav to the computer via usb cable and move the gpx file to the nav (GPX directory).
I have tried the simple ways several times, believe me, I prefer the simple ways, but everything was without success.
Basecamp and XT2 are just not compatible, and that's a fact.
I think for an exchange with the XT 2 can only use the tracks.
I'm not sure how or if others with XT2 are using the BaseCamp or not to shed a light. Is it only BC files aren't compatible, or same with other .GPX files? (created under a different software). Maybe you can try maps.harley-davidson.com (it's an easy to work with software) to create a simple route, say 2 or 3 via and like 20 shaping points.
If nothing works then maybe you still can replace the XT2 for the XT if possible
craig.wagner
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 6 times
United States of America

Post by craig.wagner »

proofresistant wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:25 am Basecamp and XT2 are just not compatible, and that's a fact.
These statements are simply not true. I just got my XT2 very recently (to replace my 550) and spent the last two days figuring it out. I planned a four-day trip in BaseCamp (using routes) and sent those routes to the XT2. Imported them from temp.gpx and bingo, routes on the XT2 that match the ones in BaseCamp.

If you haven't done so already, I suggest you read the excellent "Zumo XT and BaseCamp - Everything That You Need to Know" article. It saved me a ton of hair-pulling.
jfheath
Has liked: 343 times
Been liked: 736 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Welcome to the forum Craig and thank you for confirming that Basecamp Routes transfer and work with the XT2.

The XT uses different routing algorithms from those used by earlier Zumos, and it seeks out the main roads for its 'Faster' routing preferences. Your Basecamp route will remain intact until it has to recalculate (say if you go off route briefly). It will then probably plot a different route - still passing through the same route points - shaping and via, but may take different roads.

There are a number of ways that you can protect against this.

Always get basecamp to create a track. Load it as well as the route and display it. It hides under the route, but If the route recalculates, the track will become visible.

Turn off automatic recalculation if you go off route.

Add a few more shaping points to your route so that it will not head for main roads.

I suspect, but cannot know, that the XT2 will have slightly different algorithms. And two XTs will rarely calculate exactly the same route due to the date, time, traffic and riding history that it uses. But you observation seems to suggest that it keeps and honours the ghost points that Basecamp transmits with every route - to keep the BC route exactly as plotted.

Thanks for the compliment about my 'Everything you need to know pages'. Much appreciated. Glad it saved you hair - I lost a lot of mind over the last two years !
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

proofresistant wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:54 pm Opening a route takes a very long time, sometimes several minutes. This is frustrating when you have to wait up to 10 minutes or more before starting the navigation.

I planned the route in Basecamp and because the route could not be pushed to the Zumo XT2 via Tread or otherwise, I converted the route in Bascamp into a track.

Then I pushed the track on the Navi and let the Zumo XT2 itself create a route. Even the creation of the route takes a very very long time.

If then the route created with the Zumo XT 2 should be opened, then the waiting begins every time :-(

For info, the route had about 450km and the original track had a little less than 10,000 track / coordinate points.

[Edit Info, sorry for editing, my English ist not the best ;-) ]

You are introducing other issues by converting the route to a track. You then get the Zumo to calculate a route from the track. But what you get is not a route with a few routing points like the route that you created in Basecamp'
On the XT, this is described as creating a 'Trip from a track' - which is also badly named. They may have changed this phrase in the track menu on the XT2. I don't know.

Can you confirm that you have done what @Fxwheels suggested.

ie. Create your route in Basecamp.
Make sure that your map in Basecamp is the same as the map that you have on your Zumo.
Make sure that the map in the Zumo is selected and that you have no other maps selected apart from the ones that came with the Zumo. Eg OSM maps.

In BC check Edit / Options / Device Transfer. Make sure all boxes are unticked. Click the button to apply the settings to all your devices.

Check your profile is set to motorcycling and your routing preference is set to faster time. I prefer to have no avoidances set.

Name the route something different from the name it was before. Add something to the start of the name. The Zumo might not show all of the characters at the end.

Recalculate the route.
Create a track.

Then select the route and the track, and select the menu option to export as a Gpx file. Save it to your hard drive in a location that is easy to find.

Now connect you Zumo via USB cable. Close down Basecamp.

Wait for the Zumo to be recognised - there might be a 20 second delay on the screen that you can dismiss.
While you are waiting, find the gpx file that you have just exported using a file explorer. Select the file and 'Copy'. On a Pc this is right click and select Copy

When the Zumo shows up, find Internal Storage and select the GPX. folder. Paste the copied file into there.

Disconnect the USB cable. Restart the Zumo and import the track and the route.

See how that behaves.

nb This sounds a very longwinded way of doing it. It isn't. Most of the above is checking the things that you only have to do once.

The things you have to do every time are select the routes, tracks and export them. Restart zumo, import.

You can make it even easier by using the sd card to do this but not having an XT2, I cannot verify this, and on the XT it introduces other things to be aware of.
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

craig.wagner
United States of America

Post by craig.wagner »

jfheath wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:32 am Then select the route and the track, and select the menu option to export as a Gpx file. Save it to your hard drive in a location that is easy to find.
A couple of other details I felt I should add.

When you fire up BaseCamp with the XT2 connected to the computer, you will get this dialog. Just click OK to dismiss it.
Unsupported_Device_Connected_2023-07-28_08-15-57.png
Unsupported_Device_Connected_2023-07-28_08-15-57.png (15.89 KiB) Viewed 1324 times
To transfer my routes to the GPS, I select the four routes that make up my trip, right-click on one of the selected routes, and select "Send To..."
Garmin_BaseCamp_2023-07-28_08-20-51.png
Garmin_BaseCamp_2023-07-28_08-20-51.png (25.61 KiB) Viewed 1324 times
Choose "Internal Storage" on the XT2.
Select_Destination_2023-07-28_08-45-25.png
Select_Destination_2023-07-28_08-45-25.png (21.93 KiB) Viewed 1324 times
After that, unplug the XT2 from the computer and let it boot up. Then do the following on the device.
15579.png
15579.png (562.51 KiB) Viewed 1324 times
15967.png
15967.png (78.29 KiB) Viewed 1324 times
27511.png
27511.png (80.58 KiB) Viewed 1324 times
27975.png
27975.png (60.78 KiB) Viewed 1324 times
28701.png
28701.png (83.06 KiB) Viewed 1324 times
29137.png
29137.png (80.09 KiB) Viewed 1324 times
29780.png
29780.png (81.79 KiB) Viewed 1324 times
30182.png
30182.png (61.2 KiB) Viewed 1324 times
30443.png
30443.png (58.58 KiB) Viewed 1324 times
Hope this helps. I'm far from an expert, but if you have any questions about the process I used, feel free to ask.
Attachments
74884.png
74884.png (83.47 KiB) Viewed 1324 times
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Wow - many thanks for that.

Interesting to see that they no longer call the App 'Trip Planner', but have reverted to using the term 'Route Planner'. That leaves Trip free to refer to whatever it is that convert a track to in ordert o make it navigable.

Also there are indications of where the data is stored on the XT2 itself.

Thank you for doing this - having never seen one, it is quite revealing !!

They said that Explore wasn't compatible with the XT as well. They didn't mean it !

craig.wagner
United States of America

Post by craig.wagner »

jfheath wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:58 pm Also there are indications of where the data is stored on the XT2 itself.
I'm a retired software engineer, so when I see stuff like that I start to think about how it works.

I suspect that when the user taps the IMPORT button it's probably just searching the device file system for any file that has a gpx extension. That leads me to notice that it's in the same place on both my 550 and the XT2. Now I'm thinking, the "Send To..." option in BaseCamp isn't doing any magic, it's likely just a wrapper around "export the selection to temp.gpx and copy to device."

So, I copied temp.gpx from the XT2 to my computer, went into BaseCamp and exported my four routes as GPX, and used BeyondCompare to compare the two files. The only differences were that the waypoints in the file that I exported explicitly had two WaypointExtension elements, one in the gpxx namespace and the other in the wptxl namespace.

Sorry, probably getting way off into the technical weeds here and away from the topic of this thread, it's just the most excited I've gotten about solving a technical mystery since I retired.