Being forced to go back to a waypoint

For help and advice on the Garmin Zumo XT2.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 334 times
United States of America

Re: Being forced to go back to a waypoint

Post by Peobody »

Triplog wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 1:54 pm There seems to be a difference of opinion on here as to whether the Skip function forces a complete recalc, or only recalls to the next Waypoint (or Viapoint?).
I know for certain that it recalcs to the end of the route on both my XT and my buddies NAV VI. I have a track of the route showing in the map so not only do I see a route modification done by the recalc, but when we both skip a point we often end up with a different remaining route. It would be nice if Garmin fixed this in the XT2 and indeed only recalced to the next Via because recalcing the entire remainder of the route is by far the biggest complaint I have with the XT.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
Triplog
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Post by Triplog »

Hopefully is fixed in the XT2, I'll try and not use it just in case but I'll have the tracks as a backup. How do you show both the track and route while navigating a route? I didn't realise that was possible, but as I say I'm completely new to the XT2
jfheath
Has liked: 348 times
Been liked: 742 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

This is for the XT. The XT2 might be similar, but the XT uses Explore to enable collections. I believe the XT2 has collections. If not then the link below will help with that.

app.php/ZXT-P59

The previous 2 pages may (or may not) also be useful.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

This is a post with step-by-step instructions for the XT. viewtopic.php?p=16135&hilit=show+track#p16135
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

All good advice here.

@Triplog . Since you are using Basecamp, you need to be aware that Basecamp uses the word Waypoint only for the points that are created with the Waypoint flag tool. These are saved and get transferred to the Zumos Favourites or Saved locations.

What is important in a route is whether a route point is a Via Point - ie set to announce - orange flag on an XT map,
or set to be a Shaping point - does not announce on approach or arrival. These are shown as small blue discs on the XT map.

Garmin's saved Waypoints can be set as either a via or a shaping point.

MRA uses the term 'waypoint' to mean any point in a route, but they still set as either Via point (hand) or Shaping point (tear drop).

Regarding Skip. The XT calculates the entire route, or the remaining route if Skip is used.
The XT has a facility to edit a route, and in that option there are two Skip functions- Skip the next shaping point and Skip the next via
point. But it does not tell you which comes next. It does however, give the name of the point.

When you select one of these it removes the point from the trip list and recalculates the entire route without the removed point. The skip button does the same thing - it removes the next point from the trip list.

Now - if you miss a shaping point or two - say points C and D - and rejoin the route, the XT does not mind and continues navigating ahead to the next route point - point E. You know that you are heading for point E, but if you press skip, point C and point D are still in the trip list - so if you want to skip E, you have first got to skip C and D.

It is tedious that the Zumo often changes the name of your route points, making the skip function difficult to use.

Just an example of the quality of joined up thinking that seems to have been used in the system development.

Skip is still useful, but if you want to continue your original, as soon as you can, stop at the side of the road, stop the route and reload it. Select closest entry point when asked to select the next destination.

Apologies if some of this is not relevant to the XT2. If that is the case, it would be good to know.
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Triplog
Great Britain

Post by Triplog »

Have worked my way through the replies and info. They refer to the XT and the XT2 appears to be different. Importantly, I don't use the Tread app and the Explore app says that the XT2 isn't supported. I can use either Tracks or Routes on the XT2 but can't find any way of making them both visible at the same time. Nomatter, as long as I have them the Track will always be there as a failsafe. Thank you all for the information, its all useful and appreciated!
Triplog
Great Britain

Post by Triplog »

As a quick update to this - I tested a short route yesterday. I deliberately missed and Skipped the first Waypoint, no change to remaining route (next was a Waypoint). I deliberately missed and Skipped the second waypoint, no change to route (next was a Shaping point). I missed the Shaping point, and then missed and Skipped the next Waypoint. It then rerouted from where I was on a motorway to join the route up ahead, The rest of the route remained unchanged but I'm fairly sure there was no sensible alternative to the destination.
Some with more experience/brains than me might find this useful!
Again - thanks to all for the help.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

So when you say "Waypoint" you mean 'Via Point".ie alerts on approach and arrival. Shows as a flag on the Zumo screen.?

Triplog
Great Britain

Post by Triplog »

Waypoint? Viapoint? Here's the Route detail created in Basecamp. As you can see the Start, 2nd and 4th points alert, but only the 2nd has a flag. (I use the Route creating tool, I don't normally create Waypoints and then "join them up"). Apologies - I forgot I'd changed the original route to use backroads (B roads here) - on Skipping the 4th point the Xt2 did actually reroute to use main (A) roads to the destination.
Attachments
Test Route.JPG
Test Route.JPG (73.93 KiB) Viewed 747 times
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Triplog wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 6:54 am Skipping the 4th point the Xt2 did actually reroute to use main (A) roads to the destination.
That is the behaviour we talk about when saying that it recalculates the remainder of the route. Did the main (A) roads it chose route through the fifth point?

Regarding terminology (Waypoint, Via Point, Shaping Point), notice in your route points list that some are gray and contain "won't alert". Those are Shaping Points. The others are Via Points (alerting). All are referred to as Waypoints. These are my notes-to-self on the subject:

Once you have created and saved a Waypoint, it remains a Waypoint.
The Waypoint may then be used in a route or just saved for future use - (In the XT this is a 'Favourite' in UK; a 'Saved' in USA)
When created, these points are always created as Alerting route points.

Another type of point is a ad-hoc inserted point (a point created the "Insert" tool).
A point created using the rubber-band method (Alt+drag) is the same as a point created with the "Insert" tool).
These points may or may not be created as Alerting points, depending on whether that route point is a known address on the map.

Any of these points can be set as Alerting or Non-Alerting points.

A Via Point is an alerting Waypoint or an alerting ad-hoc inserted point.
A Shaping Point is a non-alerting Waypoint or a non-alerting ad-hoc inserted point.