Zumo XT power cable

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
lkraus
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 122 times
United States of America

Re: Zumo XT power cable

Post by lkraus »

Strip the outer insulation, unbraided the shielding wires and twist them together to splice and solder to the black lead. A multimeter will confirm that the XT uses the shield as the negative connection. The center wire is the positive, splice to the red lead. Be sure the powered side of the SAE connection uses the insulated socket for positive.

SAE connectors of this type most often carry 12 volts. Since your use only carries 5 volts, I would label it as such as reminder NOT to connect a 12 volt device.
Been liked: 1 time
United States of America

Post by MotoChicken »

(reposting inline)
Last edited by MotoChicken on Sun May 19, 2024 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2021 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 SX
Cardo PackTalk Edge
Garmin Zūmo XT
danham
Has liked: 95 times
Been liked: 91 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

lkraus wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 1:12 pm ...Be sure the powered side of the SAE connection uses the insulated socket for positive.
This is very important advice. Some SAE cables swap polarity, such as the alligator clip harness that comes with some battery tenders. You need a multimeter to make sure of polarity -- even a cheap one will do for this job. Getting it wrong will make the magic smoke come out of your device. ;-)

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
MotoChicken
United States of America

Post by MotoChicken »

lkraus wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 1:12 pm SAE connectors of this type most often carry 12 volts. Since your use only carries 5 volts, I would label it as such as reminder NOT to connect a 12 volt device.
This is an excellent comment that I certainly could have overlooked, thank you for the recommendation!

danham wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 5:20 pm
Some SAE cables swap polarity, such as the alligator clip harness that comes with some battery tenders. You need a multimeter to make sure of polarity. Getting it wrong will make the magic smoke come out of your device. ;-)
I definitely want to avoid magic smoke, thanks Dan for this great advice also.
Cardo PackTalk Edge
Garmin Zūmo XT
MotoChicken
United States of America

Post by MotoChicken »

raesewell wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 10:28 am I used Posi Lock connectors offset to minimise the profile.
Thank you for identifying the connectors you used, it’s been hard for me to find any other options besides SAE.

Would you be able to share a picture of your setup, including the connectors you used? I think they might be the “Posi-Tite” version, and I’d like to see what you mean by “offset”.
Cardo PackTalk Edge
Garmin Zūmo XT
raesewell
Been liked: 13 times
Great Britain

Post by raesewell »

Offset means that one wire is longer than the other so the posi locks don't sit side by side. No pictures available as it's all buttoned up and heat shrinked. I just use ordinary Posi Locks.
colirv
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 39 times
Great Britain

Post by colirv »

I've used the normal Posi Locks a few times - they work really well. I've not come across the Posi Tite in the UK. I'd track them down if I needed a waterproof connection.
Colin
BMW R1250RS
https://www.namrider.com