Fresh Zumo XT: problem whit country at startup

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
mavvy
Italy

Fresh Zumo XT: problem whit country at startup

Post by mavvy »

Hello everyone,

i have a strange problem with a brand new Zumo XT. When I turn off completely the Zumo, when i turn on again the device every time asks to select the country. No problem if simply go in standby. All the personalization are saved too without problem. I see another Zumo xt with the same firmware that i've installed (6.60) and not figure this problem. Did you see this problem before and how can be solved?

Tnx!
jfheath
Has liked: 350 times
Been liked: 747 times
Great Britain

Re: Fresh Zumo XT: problem whit country at startup

Post by jfheath »

Welcome to the forum @mavvy

The problem may be that you have yet to put it on the bike or in the car and take it for a ride.

It knows where you say that you are, but it doesn't know for itself where you are until it has got some reliable data from the satellites - and for that you need to be driving around. Walking around doesn't fool it.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
mavvy
Italy

Post by mavvy »

jfheath wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 7:22 pm Welcome to the forum @mavvy

The problem may be that you have yet to put it on the bike or in the car and take it for a ride.

It knows where you say that you are, but it doesn't know for itself where you are until it has got some reliable data from the satellites - and for that you need to be driving around. Walking around doesn't fool it.
Hi @jfheath and thank you for the welcome. Your solution worked fine! It's incredible that i have installed and configured two of this device for friends effetively every time on openspace and worked fine. Arrived my turn and i configured inside house and don't know about this "feature" :lol:

Tnx again for your support!
jfheath
Has liked: 350 times
Been liked: 747 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Glad that it worked.

That feature surprised me too. I got mine during Covid and use of cars was limited to a single trip to the shop every two weeks. But we were allowed to exercise every day. Walks. So it came walking with us. 3-6 miles every day. I plotted the route - but it wasn't playing - all sorts of weird behaviour. Clearly it was ignoring small changes in location within a given time frame. You might remember the hundreds of tracks plotted around your house, and the icon that wobbled around onthe screen ? The XT doesn't do that. After only small movements in the same area - it stops updating until it gets a bigger movement. Clearly 3mph on footpaths isn't good enough to trigger the Satnav to wake up to the fact that it isn't still in the shop.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC