New type of "Routing Point"

For help and advice on the Garmin Zumo XT2.
Triplog
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

New type of "Routing Point"

Post by Triplog »

Just back from an 1100 mile trip round SW Ireland, my first using the XT in anger. Taking on board a lot of what I've picked up on here I must say the XT performed faultlessly (apart from one instructing me to go "off road" which was actually a slip road onto a motorway!). One thing I'd like opinions on, I cut down on the number of routing points (to strictly necessary ones I was definitely going to pass through) but find there were times when I'd have liked notifications of upcoming points of interest, but also to have the ability to miss them without being forced to go back through them if need be. (eg points of interest near the main route) The Montana 700i was excellent at this. Does anyone else see the need for "Alerting Shaping Points" for want of a better description?
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 330 times
United States of America

Re: New type of "Routing Point"

Post by Peobody »

Triplog wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:10 am Does anyone else see the need for "Alerting Shaping Points" for want of a better description?
Yes, routinely. My trick is to strategically place a Via point on the road somewhere before the potential stop, giving it a name like "Next right for Gopher State Park", or "Go straight for coffee at Bobs Diner". If you choose not to stop, riding through that point on the road satisfies the XT that the point was visited allowing you to ride on.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
QuantumQuartz
Has liked: 4 times
United States of America

Post by QuantumQuartz »

I agree, "Alerting Shaping Points" would be a valuable feature to have. It would provide notifications for points of interest while allowing flexibility to skip them if needed, enhancing the overall navigation experience.
Triplog
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Post by Triplog »

Yes, routinely. My trick is to strategically place a Via point on the road somewhere before the potential stop ....
That works fine except where the point you may want to visit involves a bit of navigation to get there! That's where I see this "Alerting Shaping Point" being really useful.
Last edited by jfheath on Sun Jun 30, 2024 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: quote format Typos
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 330 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

QuantumQuartz wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 2:04 am I agree, "Alerting Shaping Points" would be a valuable feature to have. It would provide notifications for points of interest while allowing flexibility to skip them if needed, enhancing the overall navigation experience.
I don't understand how it would help in this case so am curious about what you envision. The way it can work now is that you set your alerting shaping point and then set the potential POI as a shaping point. If you chose to not to divert, the POI shaping points will be ignored once the XT2 realizes that you are have passed it. The only challenge is when the re-entry point upon return from the POI is not in the same place as when you diverted. In that case, not diverting to the POI would require manual navigation to rejoin the route somewhere past that POI. Now, a point that would prompt for the loading of a different route, well that would be something! Imaging not having to stop the current route and load the alternate route but instead be prompted for continuing on or loading a specified alternate route.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
QuantumQuartz
Has liked: 4 times
United States of America

Post by QuantumQuartz »

I understand your point. An alerting feature for shaping points could greatly improve the navigation experience. It seems advantageous for the automatic handling of points of interest along a path, eliminating manual input, particularly when choosing to stick with the current route or opt for another. Such a feature would likely boost both efficiency and convenience, facilitating seamless navigation, even when re-entry points vary.