Unexpected reboot and required route restart

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
tombarrington
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times
United States of America

Re: Unexpected reboot and required route restart

Post by tombarrington »

FrankB wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 10:03 pm My Xt is not wired directly to the battery, but on the ignition. So if I turn off the bike, the XT also goes into standby, When I turn on the bike again, the zumo restarts and an active route is resumed.
Is that also your setup?
This is my setup, too. The battery appears to accept and hold a charge. Not sure how to troubleshoot that any further. Maybe there is a log that Garmin could review to see if some error is flagged.
2022 BMW R1250 GS
2002 BMW R1100S
1984 Honda VF700F
1969 Moto Guzzi Ambassador
FrankB
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 130 times
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

I was thinking like this. As long as the Zumo gets its power via the Bike it works fine. But when it goes into standby, and relies on the power from the satnav battery if fails.

There are ways to get more info from the state of the battery,
1) From the developer menu. app.php/ZXT-P84
2) long press the power symbol on the main screen.

Maybe that will tell you more.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 107 times
Been liked: 318 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Mine is on a switched circuit too, only powered when the ignition is in the On or ACC position. I do not have any reason to suspect an internal battery issue considering that it worked fine for many months, then had the issue, then worked fine for many months, had the issue again, and has worked fine for many months since. In both cases, I stopped, turned the bike off, the XT went into standby, and I stowed it in a locked compartment while I was away from the bike.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
tombarrington
United States of America

Post by tombarrington »

FrankB wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 10:28 pm There are ways to get more info from the state of the battery,
1) From the developer menu. app.php/ZXT-P84
Interesting, but I'm not sure how to draw any conclusions not knowing the meaning of all this data. The battery screen figures seem to be OK in my judgment and in all other respects it seems to be working fine. Maybe it has diminished capacity (Bat Cap 98 mAhr) vs. a random internet post I found showing a Zumo XT battery rated at 3060 mAhr. At home I can have it on or sleeping for at least an hour.

2022 BMW R1250 GS
2002 BMW R1100S
1984 Honda VF700F
FrankB
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

Just checked em with mine:
Batt Volts 4071
Bat volt raw 4072
Bat cap 100
Bat cap fltr 100

If yours just came off the bike after a ride, the voltage seems low, mine has been used a few times since it came off

Edit: More on this subject.
viewtopic.php?t=1380&start=10
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 107 times
Been liked: 318 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

FrankB wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 6:13 am Just checked em with mine:
Batt Volts 4071
Bat volt raw 4072
Bat cap 100
Bat cap fltr 100
Mine are more similar to @tombarrington :
Batt Volts 3815
Bat volt raw 3809
Bat cap 88
Bat cap fltr 87

My XT has been off the bike for 3 weeks. It has been powered on numerouse times since then for a total of approx 1.5 hours, much of which would have been in standby mode.

The Developer Info screen contains the option "Shutdown Causes" which I found interesting for two reasons. First, I was surprised to see eight entries. Second, there are two "Abnormal Powerdown" entries. One of those contains a date/time reference. The other contains "Invalid Time". Based on the date/time reference of the one, it coincides with my first occurance of powering off instead of going into, or remaining in standby mode. The undated one can then be assumed to be my second occurance. The details of each do not provide a clue into what caused them. All of the other entries are "RTL Trap" entries, the details of which appear to contain debug data. Each contains an error number. No error number was recorded in the "Abnormal Powerdown" entries. This was a long way of saying that the details of each shutdown event do not provide a clue to us mere mortals.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
FrankB
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

@tombarrington
Peobody wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 1:33 pm The Developer Info screen contains the option "Shutdown Causes" which I found interesting for two reasons.
That is indeed something to check. See if you can relate the date/time to the 'unexpected reboots'.
tombarrington
United States of America

Post by tombarrington »

@FrankB and @Peobody I think our battery figures are similar enough to assume mine is fine, too. It's been off the bike for a few days and operated without charging for a bit, as well.

I looked at the Shutdown Causes but I think it would take Garmin's technical staff to understand if they relate to my issue.

I can't say with certainty if these occurred on the same day/time as my reboots but it would not surprise me if they did. Apparently, there were faults earlier in the year but I did not notice them.
2022 BMW R1250 GS
2002 BMW R1100S
1984 Honda VF700F