smart notifications not working

For help and advice on the Garmin Zumo XT2.
VeeBee
Been liked: 4 times
Great Britain

smart notifications not working

Post by VeeBee »

According to the user manual I should see smart notifications, txt messages etc, on my XT2 when it connected to Tread app on my iphone 15.
I always have Tread connected but I’ve never seen any text messages notifications on the XT2 screen.

Anyone know how to make smart notifications appear on the XT2, there’s no settings for smart notifications in the Tread app.
Attachments
IMG_0901.jpeg
IMG_0901.jpeg (138.93 KiB) Viewed 1042 times
jfheath
Has liked: 354 times
Been liked: 754 times
Great Britain

Re: smart notifications not working

Post by jfheath »

On the Android there is another option between Routing and Emergency Assistance called Smart Notifications. In there you can turn on notificatuons for eg Alertd, Emai, Messages etc - 7 items in all.

If you have an iPhone, I don't know.

However I checked something similar on the android and on the ipad with the XT and the Drive App. On the Android there was a similar set of settings - whic were not present on the ipad. However, when I eventually connected the ipad to the XT - the but the same notification options and more were available on the Zumo itself. I've just found the post that I made at the time.

Goodness know whether or not this is the case for Tread. But it seems likely. Sorry - I cannot check - I do not have an iphone, and it takes quite a while to make my XT pair with my ipad so that it thinks its a phone.
On the XT2 find what might be the equivalent of the XT's Bluetooth->Smartphone Services->Smart Notifications. Possibly in Settings->Phone->phone name ..... and scroll down
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
VeeBee
Great Britain

Post by VeeBee »

Thanks for the reply John. I’ve gone through every setting I can find, both on the XT2 and on the iphone Tread app.

On the XT2 phone settings it just says my iphone is connected for calls, media audio and the Tread app.

On the Tread app, theres a setting to enable smart notifications; when I select this it puts a pairing code on the XT2 which I press OK to confirm it matches the code displayed on the iphone. I also select “pair” on the phone. I followed this process when I originally set it up, but I’ve just done it again in the hope it refreshes something.

I’ve just ran another test, getting someone to send me a text message, but it still doesn’t give any notification on the XT2 screen.

It seems that the XT2 when used with an iphone cannot display text msg notifications.

Vic
Attachments
IMG_0904.jpeg
IMG_0904.jpeg (173.1 KiB) Viewed 983 times
IMG_0903.jpeg
IMG_0903.jpeg (477.49 KiB) Viewed 983 times
IMG_0902.jpeg
IMG_0902.jpeg (455.58 KiB) Viewed 983 times
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I can't help Im afraid.

I've just spent 30 minues trying to make my ipad look like a phone. I can do it with the XT and Drive, and checked the procedure with that and obtained a few screenshots.

I tried to do the same with the XT2 and failed. But the ipad isn't a phone so .

A few things that I did notice - I had to set up Tread again. I didn't need to install it and I didn't need to scan the bar code.
For both Drive and Tread I did need to unpair and forget about the XT2 on the ipad / phone
And I did need to forget about the phone on the XT2 - and start the pairing process again.

And then re-establish the BT connections. The phone still said it couldn't connect well after the XT2 has displayed the bluet tread icon to indicate that it was connected.

This section of the manual syas that it is possible and you get an icon alongside the phone to show that it is connected. Along withe the phone, music and Tread icons. That sounds very much like what I have seen on the iphone with Drive and the XT1

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp ... E2294.html

This is was the XT looks like when the ipad (pretending to be an iphone) looks like when it is connected.

The list of 3 smart notifications shown - is actually about 3 times as long as that.
Notifications XT2.png
Notifications XT2.png (88.59 KiB) Viewed 976 times
I hope someone who has an iphone is able to fill in the blanks if they see this post.

Nb - You may have to allow the Tread App to send notifications. I have to do that on the Android phone. I wouldn't know about the iphone.
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

VeeBee
Great Britain

Post by VeeBee »

I already tried unpairing/re-pairing everything and the phone is set to allow notifications from the tread app, but it makes no difference.

Thank you for the time you’ve spent going over and above trying to help, much appreciated.

I’m open to further suggestions from anyone reading this, but for now I think smart notifications don’t work with XT2 and iphone combination.
turbo19
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 6 times
Andorra

Post by turbo19 »

I think is just the last update. It was working with IOS before. I have a friend with Iphone and he received the wasaps as my XT2 before. We also have phone calls issue in Android with the last update (downgrade).
VeeBee
Great Britain

Post by VeeBee »

Ok, thanks for that, although I don’t recall ever seeing a text message pop-up on my XT2 even before the latest update.

Garmin have been around for a long time, you’d think they’d have their software sorted out by now; The cheap Chinese carplay devices seem to manage it ok.

Maybe they will release another update to update the update :lol:
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

When I test notifications by sending messages, emails to myself - it never works.

I have not quite pinned this down. but what. i am thinking is.....

If the phone is 'open' it doesn't transfer the notification.
It seems that the phone has to be showing the lock screen.
The message has to come from a different email or ip address. I cannot get it to work on my phone or from my computer.

But if i send a message from my wife's phone, that does pop up.

Sorry if that makes no sense, but I am observing something like that.

Note that drive has to be set up to send the notifications, and the phone has to have permission to send notifications from drive.

And if you gave sleeping time enabled when the phone cannot alert you to anything .....

turbo19
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 6 times
Andorra

Post by turbo19 »

You need to enable the auto-start permission in the app permissions on Android, as well as allowing notifications. This way, even if the phone is idle and the screen is off, notifications are displayed on the XT2 screen. Allow all app permissions to avoid having this kind of problems. ;)
VeeBee
Great Britain

Post by VeeBee »

I’ve tried texting from a different phone, I had my son text me whilst I was on the bike, I heard the ding in my helmet to alert that a text had been rcvd but nothing popped up on the XT2 screen.

I’ve tried all the suggestions, unpaired and repaired everything, reinstalled Tread, reset all the notifications settings on iphone and in Tread app, allowed notifications, allowed Tread full access all the time in run background, the only thing I’ve not setup is emergency collision detection and contact, but I can’t see that making any difference.

I think the problem is the XT2 is either not fully compatible with the iphone, or as turbo19 said the last update has messed things up. Although as I mentioned, I don’t recall ever seeing a text before the update. It seems it works better with android.