Working with route names

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Rofor
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 60 times
Austria

Re: Working with route names

Post by Rofor »

Hmmm - as far as i know, there is no switch for 'auto naming' in Basecamp!?

When you start to plan a route, the name is taken from the starting point to the finish point of the route - i normally double click the route in the left list and open the route information and there i change the routes name to what i like - but this also works, when i click on the name of the route in the left list and change it there!

The name of the list is displayed on the Zumo XT just as i named it - also the GPX file contains 'my' name in the XML code - just tried it a few minutes ago - here are two screenshots...

Basecamp with open route information window:
Basecamp with open route information window
Basecamp with open route information window
2023-05-01.png (665 KiB) Viewed 1396 times

Exported GPX file of the above shown route:
The XML code of the exported GPX file
The XML code of the exported GPX file
2023-05-01 (1).png (228.52 KiB) Viewed 1396 times
As you can see, my given name is the same in Basecamp and in the exported file - and also this name is shown after importing this route in the Zumo XT...

Did you, maybe, have in Basecamp any of the options in 'Device Transfer Options' in the settings ticked? They all should be unticked(!)...
2023-05-01 (2).png
2023-05-01 (2).png (82.03 KiB) Viewed 1396 times
Bye, Robert :)
(Actual: Tiger 800 XRx (2016), Garmin zumo XT, Cardo PackTalk, Nolan N70-2GT)
danham
Has liked: 95 times
Been liked: 90 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

This may be a difference between Mac and Windows versions of BC? Here is Mac, with a check box for "Autoname."
Screen Shot 2023-05-01 at 6.55.29 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-05-01 at 6.55.29 AM.png (170.86 KiB) Viewed 1391 times
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
WilcoJunoHotel
Has liked: 5 times
United States of America

Post by WilcoJunoHotel »

@Rofor - I'll check the "Device Transfer Options" tonight.

@Danham - Mine is a Windows 10 computer and there is no box shown for auto naming as you show. Looks totally different.

Thanks.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 105 times
Been liked: 317 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

WilcoJunoHotel wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 1:16 am I would like to be able to use my own naming convention but as it is now, when I create a route, I am stuck with whatever Basecamp decides to use. I can double click on the name in the lower left pane and write my own name there but the XML code still has the original route name that Basecamp gave it. I share my GPX files with others and the names Basecamp uses aren't really ideal or logical for others to understand especially if they don't use Basecamp.
My experience is the same as @Rofor described. Any change I make to route names, using either of the two methods he described, results in the change carrying over to the exported .GPX file (it is in the .XML content). BaseCamp 4.7.5 on Windows 10 22H2 Home.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
WilcoJunoHotel
United States of America

Post by WilcoJunoHotel »

I checked the "Device Transfer Options" and the only box checked was the 2nd one that related to forcing the exported route to use the map on the device. I unchecked this box and changed the name from the lower left pane, exported the route to both of my Zumos and the name I changed it to did appear on the device when I booted up the Zumo.

So, although I don't see how this checkbox (checked or unchecked) would have anything do to with the name of the route, it did work and appears to have solved the problem; However, I guess now I will just have to make sure that the maps I use on Basecamp are the same as the maps in the Zumos. I wonder what issues this will create if they are not the same.

Thanks for the help.
danham
Has liked: 95 times
Been liked: 90 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

Map mismatch issues can range from none to total destruction of your route. The reason it is so random is that movement of just a few pixels from one version to the next, whether it’s a road, exit ramp, POI, or address, can either make no difference to your route or send you 100 miles out of your way.

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
Rofor
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 60 times
Austria

Post by Rofor »

@WilcoJunoHotel
WilcoJunoHotel wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 11:31 amSo, although I don't see how this checkbox (checked or unchecked) would have anything do to with the name of the route, it did work and appears to have solved the problem; However, I guess now I will just have to make sure that the maps I use on Basecamp are the same as the maps in the Zumos. I wonder what issues this will create if they are not the same.
The naming of this option is a bit misleading, as it don't check if the map used for planning and the map on the Zumo XT are the same - it signals the Zumo XT to ever do a recalculation of an imported route, even when the map on the Zumo XT and on Basecamp are the same!
Bye, Robert :)
(Actual: Tiger 800 XRx (2016), Garmin zumo XT, Cardo PackTalk, Nolan N70-2GT)
WilcoJunoHotel
United States of America

Post by WilcoJunoHotel »

OK, I am confused now.

Doesn't the Zumo automatically do a route calculation every time it imports a custom GPX file? Isn't that what we are seeing on the screen while it loads the routes - the % complete countdown screen? It seems to me that this import process would take care of any map mismatch between Basecamp and the Zumo.

If I uncheck the box what happens? Do I no longer see the % complete countdown screen? How does this work if it doesn't calculate?

I could understand better if this is telling the Zumo to use the "settings" done in Basecamp VS the settings on the device - So, for example, if I have it set for Automobile on Basecamp, it would force the Zumo into Automobile mode. Same for Avoidances, etc., they would be overridden on the Zumo.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 105 times
Been liked: 317 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

The way I understand it, if the settings and the map in BaseCamp and the XT are the same, when the .gps file is imported by the XT, the progress bar seen is just the XT storing the route and saving all of its waypoints as Saved (Favourites). A clue about whether it is just writing or is actually calculating is how long the process takes. I don't have a handle on this. Most of my imports seem to be going through a full calculation. Only occasionally do I see one import very quickly. That said, I use a lot of waypoints in my routes. All of them get 'Saved' which may contribute to a longer processing time than experienced by those using shaping points. I suspect full calculations are occurring on import I always load it on the map and review it to insure it is as expected. Showing its track on the map first makes any discrepancies easy to spot.

As for BaseCamp set for Driving and the XT set for Motorcycle, the XT should recognize the BaseCamp profile used to to create the route, within limits. I will only recognize Driving, Motorcycle, and Direct. When any other profile is used in BaseCamp, the XT defaults to Motorcycle.

Section 5 of this excellent tutorial by @jfheath contains a full explanation with examples. viewtopic.php?t=1464
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
WilcoJunoHotel
United States of America

Post by WilcoJunoHotel »

Thanks.

There are about 5 of us sharing GPX routes that 2 of us are creating in Basecamp. We have Zumo 660, BMW Nav VI, Zumo XT and now Drive65 (I think that is the correct model).

I am trying to make sure we all stay on the same GPX route taking into consideration all the idiosyncrasies of Basecamp and the various Zumo models. Yes, I know this is probably impossible especially when we have guys not understanding (or wanting to know) what goes on inside their Zumo when they ignore or miss a turn or waypoint.

This is beside the point but Garmin should have kept the inner workings of the 660/665 and just updated the screen (bigger and clearer). It has taken me several years to figure out how to create a route that works in both the 660 and the Nav VI but I still have glitches every now and then with the Nav VI and the XT. The 660 is one of the easiest units to use with custom GPX files. I ride with both a 660 and a Nav VI and it is amazing how differently they behave when using the same GPX file and the same maps. The 660 is my reference but the Nav VI is so much easier to read. When I am in doubt about a turn, I fall back to the 660.