headstill
Has liked: 10 times
United States of America

Few questions please

Post by headstill »

I have a gifted Zumo XT.
- I am taking a long trip SC to OG and back
- I have added a SD mini card 32g
- I have loaded each day with the Trip Planner App within the unit.
- If I wanted to take a certain way, I put a gas station as a point on the route to "trick " the unit.
My questions-
1) is there anything more that I need to do to lock these trips in so when I have no wifi, the GPS will take over and get me to my (flags) and finish line destinations.
2) Comparing my route to Google, when I hit save and it showed me the pink line, sometimes it did not follow the way I wanted, but did have the yellow flags on the route. I am ok with using common sense on those few times to navigate may way to the next yellow flag. Once I start going that way, will the pink line reroute to get me on the ideal way to that next flag?
3) Is there a way to record the entire trip in the background so that I can save and have for reference?
4) when staying over night (camping) with no cell, no WIFI, will this unit be useless to look over the next days route and possible change things to suit?
5) should I bring and extra SD mini incase I fill up the fist one?

Thanks for your advise!
lkraus
Has liked: 51 times
Been liked: 122 times
United States of America

Re: Few questions please

Post by lkraus »

1. The XT does not use wi-fi for anything except to update maps and firmware, and even those uses are optional.

2. If Settings>Navigation>Off-Route Recalculation is set to Automatic, the magneta (pink) line will reroute, but you may not consider it ideal. Routing is a pretty complex topic, the best guide to it is here: https://www.zumouserforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=1464
3. The Track app on the Where To? page will record your path. Or, go to Settings>Device>Travel History and be sure the box is checked. The XT will save all your travel as a series of tracks, broken into segments of various lengths. These are found in Apps>Tracks, with date and time. You must use the wrench to save one or all the tracks or else they will eventually be overwritten once the limit of 20(?) unsaved tracks is reached.
4. You can edit routes on the XT, add/delete stops, change roads, etc. It's not easy, but it is possible. See the link above and practice before you leave on your trip.
5. The XT does not write any data to the SD card. It only uses internal memory to record information. Even so, I think you would wear out a couple of motorcycles before you could fill the internal memory with track recordings.

You really owe it to yourself to study the link above.
United States of America

Post by headstill »

Thank you @lkraus for the response.

I would like to review your link but it is broken?
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 107 times
Been liked: 318 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

A Flag in the route is a Via Point. The XT expects you to visit those so if you decide to take an alternate route that will bypass one, the XT will keep routing you to it until you tell the XT to "Skip" that point. Once you do that, the XT will recalculate from where you are to the end of the route including all remaining route points.

If you have created your routes using Trip Planner on the XT then the resulting recalculate should be similar.

If you created your routes in a mapping app like BaseCamp then the resulting recalculate can be very different (eg: route along different roads).
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 215 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

headstill wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 11:39 pm Thank you @lkraus for the response.

I have fixed the link for you
jfheath
Has liked: 319 times
Been liked: 678 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Peobody wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 12:47 am A Flag in the route is a Via Point. The XT expects you to visit those so if you decide to take an alternate route that will bypass one, the XT will keep routing you to it until you tell the XT to "Skip" that point. Once you do that, the XT will recalculate from where you are to the end of the route including all remaining route points.
Hi @Peobody

When I tested this - a couple of years ago now, what you describe here is not the case. So this is a question - are you sure about that ?

When you skip any route point - there are two methods (later) - the route point slected is removed from the trip list. The rest of the route is recalculated from your current position through each of the points that remain in the trip list.

The scenario that you descibe will happen is similar to choosing closest entry point. With that, only the Via Points are displayed. Whichever Via point you select (which may be the end point as it confusingly asks you to select your next Destination), any route points before the selected point are completely ignored. It takes you to the selected destination and then continues the route from there, visiting all of the route points in turn. Garmin sometimes call the Via Points - 'Destinations' They are of the opinion that Via Points are palces that you intedn to stop and spend some time ont he way to the final destination for the day.

Two way sto skip a route point.
1. Select the skip button fromt he main map screen. It will then display a box giving the name of the next route point (via or shaping) and sak you to confirm. (Although that confirmation box can be turned off in Settings).

2. Tap the 3 dot menu, bottom right corner (landscape view). The banner at the top says Stop / Edit Route / Mute.
Select Edit Route
This offers a few options.
One is to Skip the Next Destination (Via)
One is to Skip the Next Shaping Point.

Both of the options display the name of the route point. One of these will be the next route point, but it doesn't tell you whether it is the Via that comes next or the Shaping Point that is next. (But the skip button will revael that).

Sometimes the Via point could be a few shaping points away. Whatever, it simply removes the selected point from the list. As always with the XT, any alteration to the route causes the entire route to be recalculated - but it still passes through all of the remaining route points.

That is what I think I know. ie it was accurate when I wrote 'Everything you Need to Know'. I've not seen it behave any differently from that, but I haven't been paying attention if I have to skip a point. So if you think it is different can you let me know please ?
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 107 times
Been liked: 318 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

jfheath wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:03 am When you skip any route point - there are two methods (later) - the route point slected is removed from the trip list. The rest of the route is recalculated from your current position through each of the points that remain in the trip list.
This is what I intended to say. My comment makes sense to me when I reread it but then I have the advantage of knowing my intent. Sorry if came out convoluted.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
cr0100
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 16 times
United States of America

Post by cr0100 »

The past few years when I've taken long trips (5-7 days), I've had saved logs of the full ride from start to finish.

Pulling the tracks into basecamp, it was a relatively simple process to combine the multiple tracks from each day into a single track per day. It's kind of fun to display them all on the map to see my entire route! If I did it right, there's an example attached to this message...
Attachments
screenshot_717.png
screenshot_717.png (2.44 MiB) Viewed 2244 times
headstill
United States of America

Post by headstill »

Stu wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 6:05 am
headstill wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 11:39 pm Thank you @lkraus for the response.

I have fixed the link for you
Thanks, had I known it was to go to the "this is everything XT" I would have let you know I have done my best to comb through it. Frankly, t reminds me of memorizing an encyclopedia, which is like drinking out of a firehose, and my concentration wanes after a few gallons. I did look though it as best possible to get my answers, and some were answered that I did not ask.

I appreciate all the help for those who took the time. I believe I am ready to roll, if not I will figure it out.
jfheath
Has liked: 319 times
Been liked: 678 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Peobody wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 1:20 pm This is what I intended to say. My comment makes sense to me when I reread it but then I have the advantage of knowing my intent. Sorry if came out convoluted.
No - that's OK - As I said - I hadn't tested it recently. I wondered if it was a Garmin 'improvement' that you had spotted.
Thanks for confirming.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC