Garmin Express - retained downloads

dhwalt
Has liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Garmin Express - retained downloads

Post by dhwalt »

Was GE 7.21.0 but updated to 7.22.0.0
I have used Garmin Express over the past 12 months for map updates on a ZUMO XT2 and noticed my M1 iMac storage filling up. The usual warnings about keeping backups/renaming files before any deletions.
This information may help:

Maps on iMac
user/library/application support/Garmin/maps/XXXX.gmap

Map downloads
~/Library/Application Support/Garmin/Express/UniversalMaps

XT2 with Android File Transfer for maps
.System/Map

Removed the map "Downloads" in the UniversalMaps folder to recover 22GB but moved copies to an external drive.

Dave
lkraus
Subscriber
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 137 times
United States of America

Re: Garmin Express - retained downloads

Post by lkraus »

Equivalent (hidden) folder for Windows PC is C:\ProgramData\Garmin\CoreService\Downloads

I delete this folder after every update of anything from Garmin. It seems to contain only duplicates of everything installed, but there is no way to actually use the files after installation completes. I don't bother to backup the files, Express will download them again if needed.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 330 times
United States of America

Re: Garmin Express - retained downloads

Post by Peobody »

My C:\ProgramData\Garmin\CoreService\Downloads directory is empty. What isn't empty is C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Maps\RMU\NA\. It contains the installation files (.gmap, .cab, & .msi) for the current and previously installed maps (38.8GB worth). I suspect these are created by the install to PC function of Express. The existence of .msi files makes me think that they could be reinstalled but whether doing so would result in an unlocked map is a question.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.