Can XT Bluetooth to Rider and Pillion Packtalk Bold Units?

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 410 times
Been liked: 229 times
Great Britain

Re: Can XT Bluetooth to Rider and Pillion Packtalk Bold Units?

Post by Stu »

Peobody wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:51 pm
Stu wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:54 pm I have recently changed the way I pair my phone, gps and Cardo

Normally it was phone to cardo and gps to cardo. This resulted in very clear phone calls and phone calls would mute others and others couldn't hear me too

I now have my phone to the gps then gps to the cardo. This allows others in the group hear me when I am on the phone but not hear the conversation from the phone

I am going to be pairing back to the first option I think
It's a catch 22. I like having the phone connected to the gps, both for traffic alerts and for the visible notice of texts and calls. Based on what I have seen, the Cardo is supposed to mute phone calls so group members don't hear them. Enabling the "Parallel Audio Streaming" feature breaks that. Do you know anything about that feature and where to enable/disable it?
I'm pretty sure you still can

Pair the phone to the GPS and the Headset then on the phone settings go in to bluetooth and turn off phone calls for the GPS but keep in on for the cardo

I am also pretty sure that doing it that way allows the gps to still show who is calling etc

Edit: just checked and it wont work properly taking calls through the headset and trying to get it to show who is calling on the XT. But you can pair to both and have calls through the phone and still use traffic and texts but not for calls
jfheath
Has liked: 348 times
Been liked: 742 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

@Stu

Just a thought - I don't even know if you have the choice, but is your XT regarded by the Cardo as a GPS, or as a phone ?
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 410 times
Been liked: 229 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

@jfheath I pair it as a gps
jfheath
Has liked: 348 times
Been liked: 742 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

The XT behaves like a phone when paired. You can dail from it, see who's calling access the call list, contacts list, get text messages. All of the spoken stuff in and out is processed by the XT.

I wonder how the cardo would behave if the XT was paired as a phone ? Maybe other features would change. I don't know, I have never come across these before. - but I've a feeling that I will in the very near future. Hence my interest.

I note in the manual some of the controls - which you might want to do while riding - mention that an LED flashes a particular colour. Not very informative when riding, I thought. I thought that holding in a push button for two seconds to mute the DMC intercom was a bit much. At least you don't have to take your eye off the road to do it. 2 seconds is a long time.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
danham
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 94 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

My experience is with Sena units, but perhaps it applies. Pairing as a GPS results in mono sound and lack of controls for music, among other shortcomings. It is a feature that was designed when less fancy GPS units needed simple protocols to communicate directions. It assumes that you are also pairing a phone as a phone and so you don't need music or stereo or voice dialing for your GPS. That has changed. Pairing as a phone allows stereo sound and all the controls you would find on a smartphone.

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 334 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

jfheath wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:59 am I wonder how the cardo would behave if the XT was paired as a phone ? Maybe other features would change. I don't know, I have never come across these before. - but I've a feeling that I will in the very near future. Hence my interest.
I have had my XT paired as a GPS and as a phone. I didn't notice any difference in behavior either way. I have not experienced the shortcomings mentioned by @danham when paired in GPS mode. I can voice dial ("Hey, Siri" works), music is in stereo, music controls on the XT work (music is on the XT, media audio is disabled for my phone in the bluetooth settings on the XT). AFAIK, I am paired in GPS mode now and am setting in my recliner with my helmet on, testing these functions. I can not figure out a way to verify the GPS mode but it was only a few weeks ago that I was re-settng-up everything trying to get voice navigation commands audible by pillion. It was paired as phone prior to that so I'm certain that I paired in GPS mode to test. It worked.

Edit: OK, I just discovered that incoming texts are not being displayed and that the media audio option for my phone will not stay turned off. Hmmm.... I wonder if the phone IOS update done two days ago has affected anything. Geez, it's always something!
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
danham
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 94 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

I'm sure you noticed that I said my Sena experience might apply to Cardo. Here's more detail, which might still help with Cardo issues.

When you pair to a Sena using GPS, it only allows HFP Bluetooth, which stands for Hands Free Protocol. That is a mono protocol that allows some control of a phone, but not all features. If you pair the GPS as a 2nd phone, you get HFP and A2DP, which stands for Advanced Audio Distribution Profile and is stereo.

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE